4L80e Help Please! When placed in L2 and L1 RPM drops - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

4L80e Help Please! When placed in L2 and L1 RPM drops

Hello to all,

I did a 4l80e swap in my 69 and when I place the car in L2 and or L1 the rpms on the engine drops down to about 400-500 but engine does not shut off. Just spent over 2K to get the transmission fully overhauled. New clutches, bushings, solenoids, o-rings, etc. The Torque converter was also new and sent it back to get tested. Clutches were a little worn and replaced under warranty. I have an EZ-TCU unit which seems to be working the way it is set up to do. Car drives fine while cruising, TC locks up on highway. When I place the transmission in L1 and I drive, after a few hundred RPMS car wakes up and I can shift the car on the shifter with no issue.

Was told it could have been a voltage issue. Ran brand new ground correctly, added relays to head lights, fans have relays, and new 140 amp alternator. Voltage stays at 14.4 while running. 13.9 with fans and lights on.

Car Info:
EZ-TCU controller
Mark Gen iV 454 stock heads
Edelbrock torker 2
Holley 770 Street Avenger
Mild Cam: Duration @50 224 230 ; Lift .515 .520
Torque Converter is FTI 3000 stall.

Please keep in mind that I bought the transmission used and installed the transmission with the new stall converter and the RPMS were dropping in drive once the transmission was at about 150+. After the complete overhaul, and having FTI warranty and replace the clutches, it does it in L2 and L1 at any temp. If anybody has had the same or similar issue PLEASE HELP! I have 3 buddies scratching their heads at this as well.

Thanks in advance!

1969 Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" Albert Einstein
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 06:56 PM
Apprentice

Re: 4L80e Help Please! When placed in L2 and L1 RPM drops

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Robert you think it could be a fluid issue?

1969 Camaro

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" Albert Einstein

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

So I checked the dip stick and adjusted it just like in the video as recommended. Still having same issue.
Anyone else that can help?

1969 Camaro

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 06:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69rustbucket View Post
So I checked the dip stick and adjusted it just like in the video as recommended. Still having same issue.
Anyone else that can help?
How is your timing set up ? A distributor with vacuum advance ?

Your photos show a distributor without vacuum advance. That's probably the cause of your idle problem.

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 19, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

You are correct with no vacuum advance. It is a Unilite. Creepy doe how I did not post any pictures and you say you saw them?

I didnt have these issues with the T400 when I had it installed.

1969 Camaro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode