Clutch engagement issue on new T56 - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Clutch engagement issue on new T56

I just wrapped up the install of my T56 Magnum from SST. I received the driveshaft and tossed it in thinking I would go for a test drive. Well, nope. I'm going to call them for assistance tomorrow but I thought I would post and see if anyone had any ideas I would try tonight.

The issue is that my clutch seems to be not engaging. Bleeding seemed to go well, although it did take a while. The pedal feel is high, but other than that, feels totally normal. I was able to put eyes on the hydraulic throw-out doing it's job while down there bleeding as well. When I started the car, I go to put it in gear, but I can release the pedal fully and nothing happens. I able to freely put the car in any gear with the pedal all the way out.

So when I say the pedal is high, I can feel it start to have pressure on it after only maybe 1/2" of travel, if that. Do you think it's just a case of having the adjustment linkage out of whack? When I installed the clutch master and the pedals, I adjusted it so that the rod was just perfectly totally extended with like 1/16" of the inch of travel in the pedal until the arm lined up perfectly with the clevis pin. The pedal returns as it should and has a good feel. Do you think I just need to adjust the linkage so the pedal starts to stiffen lower? I'm not sure I could do it much more because the adjustment rod really doesn't have any adjustment left in it. Maybe 1/4" at most available to shorten it.

For what it's worth, I'm 100% sure I got all of my measurements right for the spacers and that I put the clutch together properly. I hope I didn't overextended my clutch master of the throw-out, or bend the clutch fingers.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 06:21 PM
John

Garage
Re: Clutch engagement issue on new T56

Maybe a stupid question but Iíve seen it happen.

Did you install the clutch disc?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Maybe a stupid question but Iíve seen it happen.

Did you install the clutch disc?

Haha, yes. Both of them. I did the test bench assembly to take required measurements so that familiarized me with how it went together. I'm sure everything is the correct direction and assembled per the instructions from RAM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 06:27 PM
John

Garage

Was the TO bearing fully compressed when you took measurements?

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Quote:
Was the TO bearing fully compressed when you took measurements?

Yup. I pushed on it hard as I could to see what fully compressed looked like, then made sure it was the same when I measured.

Would it help if I posted all of my measurements?

1969 Pontiac Firebird
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 06:34 PM
John

Garage

Open the bleed valve and see fluid squirts out with the pedal up. The close the valve and see if it will engage.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Ok, I'll go jack the car up and check.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Looking back over my notes, I think I see where I screwed this up.

From the clutch fingers to the outside of the bellhousing = 2.128"
From the trans face to the face of the TO = 1.850"

2.128 - 1.850 = 0.278"

The spec asked for between 0.125" and 0.375". It looks like I was right on the money with zero spacers but I put both 0.25" spacers in they included.

That means I'm 0.788".

Dammit. I'm going to have to remove this thing and hope I didn't screw something up. I can't believe I did that.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 06:51 PM
John

Garage

Yep. Thatís most likely the issue. Easy fix just sux to pull the tranny to fix it.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Quote:
Yep. Thatís most likely the issue. Easy fix just sux to pull the tranny to fix it.

Yeah I'd say that's for sure it. Really going to suck pulling it. After I got it in, I thought I never wanted to do that again. JINX!

Thanks for the help. It was good to talk it through with someone.

I'll probably do this 2nd half of January when I'm back from vacation.

Man I sure pray that 1/2" I was over extending the clutch fingers while I was bleeding it all those times the pedal was pushed didn't ruin it

1969 Pontiac Firebird

Last edited by anguilla1980; Dec 11th, 19 at 07:49 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Took this old man 4hrs to get it back out and in again for the 2nd time. I was hustling and on a mission. I'll test drive in the morning. Didn't want to wake up all my neighbours with my exhaust so late.
ilikeike likes this.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 06:16 AM
John

Garage

Hope it's good to go.

Too late now but a simple check would have been to loosen the 4 transmission bolts and slide the tranny back 1/4". Engine NOT running put the car in gear, E-brake off and push the car. If it doesn't move the clutch is engaged and the issue is TO bearing clearance.

You can do it now that it's back together without starting the engine to verify it's engaging .
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech

^^

yes OP, but I guess you figured it out now

You could just jack up the rear so tires are off ground. Push in clutch with car in gear and rear wheels should freely turn by hand (need 2 people to do this). Then let out clutch while still in gear...rear tires should not move

of course doing it with engine running and just watch rear wheels start when pedal is released while in gear and roll to a stop when you push in clutch

Have done a "this trans never came in this car" on a A4 to T56 swap before and had the trans out several times during that mod to get everything right...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

I'll give it a test today in a few hours. Just need to reinstall the shifter lever.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 11:02 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
I'll give it a test today in a few hours. Just need to reinstall the shifter lever.
Good Luck.

When I bleed the clutch master I have the car in gear with the e-brake off. Wheel chocks a few inches in front and back of the tires.

With my helper pushing clutch pedal during bleeding I push the car back and forth to confirm the clutch is releasing.
anguilla1980 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode