Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

6Likes
  • 3 Post By Just 1 More
  • 3 Post By anguilla1980

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Dakota Digital speedo calibration frustration!!!

I'm hoping someone can please assist me with calibrating my Dakota Digital VHX gauges for the VSS on my Tremec Magnum. Prior it was working off a mechanical speed sensor in my TH400. I'm trying to follow the direction in the VHX manual but it's not doing what it should, or I'm not understanding how to do it. The speedo right now reads exactly 2x what it should. I have to do process number 2 because there is no way in hell I have a place to measure out an exact mile around where I live to do process 1, so I'm trying to do it with a GPS app on my phone.

First off, in the setup menu, I have the sensor type set to "NORMAL" and not "BUS" which I think is correct. When I get to the part where I start driving and push & hold SW1 to increase or push & hold SW1 again to decrease, this does absolutely nothing as it should. I start driving when the number of pulses starts and I can see the pulses increase as I drive. But when I push & hold SW1 it sends the speedo needle to max and if I push & hold SW1 again, it sends it to zero. Like WTF! I tried this several times and all I did was overheat my engine to 255F because I didn't realize that this process interrupts the temp signal for the damn fans!

I did a few variations too like waiting to drive until after my first push & hold of SW1 as well as after. I would sometimes get an error that says "pulse too low". Then it only gives you one attempt at each push & hold SW1 before it just kicks you out of the calibration process.

This has me at my wits end. Can anyone please shed some light on what in the hell the process really is?

Thanks!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 05:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: Dakota Digital speedo calibration frustration!!!

Where are you trying to get your VSS signal from? Their supplied sensor or the PCM? If you are using the VSS signal form the PCM (via their OBD2 BIM module), then select Bus. Which PCM are you using? If you are getting the correct VSS signal from the PCM, you donít have to do the drive 2 mile calibration. I had similar issues when I switched my magnum in. The problem is the DD needs at least 2000 (I think) on the counter that scrolls when you are doing the calibration per mile. The magnum uses a ford VSS sender is a 12 tooth reductor type. Most GM AUTOs and the Super magnum are 40 tooth ones. The LS T56 is 17 tooth. You have to change that setting in your PCM. If you are using a GM factory style PCM, you need HPTuners to change it. If you are using a GMPP harness/PCM you have to do the same thing but have to put a different (gear ratio) in the settings. If you have a GMPP one, let me know and I will tell you how to change it. there is an equation to figure a ďNewĒ gear ratio. Until you make those changes, your reverse lockout will not work properly either.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 19, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

No PCM/ECU. VSS to the DD gauges which Silver Sport Transmission said would work. If that's not the case, then I may just cut the VSS sensor wire and go without a speedo until I do my Holley EFI install in the spring.

Thankfully my reverse lockout is working so far as I can use it just fine when not moving. Not sure if that will still be the case if I cut the VSS sensor wire.

If I recall, it will get up to 2000 very quickly once I start driving. So you are saying I can't start calibrating until I'm at least past 2k?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
No PCM/ECU. VSS to the DD gauges which Silver Sport Transmission said would work. If that's not the case, then I may just cut the VSS sensor wire and go without a speedo until I do my Holley EFI install in the spring.

Thankfully my reverse lockout is working so far as I can use it just fine when not moving. Not sure if that will still be the case if I cut the VSS sensor wire.

If I recall, it will get up to 2000 very quickly once I start driving. So you are saying I can't start calibrating until I'm at least past 2k?
I did away with all speedo / trans connections and went with their GPS-50-2 unit and it works great

20190511_165022 by F G, on Flickr
130fe, dhutton and 57vette like this.

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

I thought about that but I don't see the point when I have an EFI setup on my bench in the garage to install in the spring. I mean, can the Holley EFI get a speedo signal from that? As it is I had to buy a Holley to DD adapter for my other gauges to work after the swap.

Anyway, I don't want to get too off track here. What I'm doing I was told should work. I guess I'll call DD and see what they have to say.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 09:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Somewhat related... I've got SpeedHut gauges including the GPS speedo. Calibration was so easy, love the fact that if I ever change transmissions, rear, tire sizes, whatever... it's 99.9% accurate instantly. Hope you can work out your problem, matching trans speedo gears is a royal PITA.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Just to be clear, this is a VSS output from the trans, not mechanical.

I received slightly different instructions from DD. It appears the VHX manual I downloaded had a variance for the version of the hardware I am running.

I now have it sorted and working perfectly.
57vette, Just 1 More and Duneit like this.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode