Raising the tunnel for T-56 install - Page 4 - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 20, 05:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Re: Raising the tunnel for T-56 install

With the T56 close ratio, the final drive is practically the same as the TKO 600 (.63 vs .64).

The T56 throws in a .8 5th gear; not sure that is worth much ? I would take vegas's advice; go TKO.

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 10:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Chris, how do you like the First gear ratio and how often do you use Sixth gear? I guess you have had it long enough that you can say you are glad you spent the extra money for the Sixth gear? Brett....

I've got the close ratio version with a 2.66 first gear, the wide ratio has a 2.97 as I recall. Even with the 4.10, I'm ok with the 2.66 first. I typically shift around 3k rpm if I'm out putting around which is good for 20 mph or so. You can work these things out with some of the online calculators if you're interested. I made an Excel spread sheet to generate a graph of engine rpm vs. mph for all 6 gears and this made it very easy to see what gear I'd probably select based on the speed limits where I typically drive. It really made it obvious I did not want a wide ratio trans with the 0.5 6th gear, I'd never use it. In my view I opted for the T56 to get the extra 5th gear. The TKO's have a top 5th overdrive gear on par with the T56 6th gear and I wanted to have the intermediate 0.8 5th gear option. With my low torque 302 I didn't want to jump from 4th with 1:1 to a 0.64 or whatever the TKO's have for 5th. I was afraid 4th would be too low and 5th too high and I'd want something in the middle. I use 5th a lot when cruising around town. I typically use 6th on roads with speed limits above 50mph or so and am very happy with the options I have with the 6 speed. No regrets, I'd make the same choice today if buying another trans, I'm very happy with the close ratioT56.
EVL SS likes this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 10:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
Two thoughts.

First, check your motor mounts - the drive line angle doesn't care if the tranny is raised or the engine is lowered. If you have tall/narrow mounts you may get by by switching to low/wide mounts and, if needed, hogging out the holes in the mounts a bit to drop the engine even more.

Second, I chased a vibration in my '68 for about three years - including correcting driveline angles, changing rear gears (which I wanted to do anyway) and having the driveshaft balanced and then high speed balanced. After the high speed balance I noticed a lot of weights stacked up by the rear end of the shaft. That seemed to be patching an inherently out of balance shaft. I bit the bullet and ordered a new Denny's aluminum shaft. Put the shaft in and noticed the absence of vibration (which I didn't think I had at that slow a speed) from 20mph on up. It is a new car - not even a hint of vibration at any speed up to about 120.

Both excellent points. With the 302 I believe I have the taller mounts and I did think about swapping them out for something shorter, but my headers are already very close to the steering box and I felt raising the trans was a better option in this case. Interesting about you DS experience. I'm not sure what speed they spun my DS to when balancing, but for what it's worth there are only a couple of small weights on it. I have thought of getting it checked again and I may do that before I reinstall it.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes

post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 10:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Chris, how do you like the First gear ratio and how often do you use Sixth gear? I guess you have had it long enough that you can say you are glad you spent the extra money for the Sixth gear? Brett....

I've got the close ratio version with a 2.66 first gear, the wide ratio has a 2.97 as I recall. Even with the 4.10, I'm ok with the 2.66 first. I typically shift around 3k rpm if I'm out putting around which is good for 20 mph or so. You can work these things out with some of the online calculators if you're interested. I made an Excel spread sheet to generate a graph of engine rpm vs. mph for all 6 gears and this made it very easy to see what gear I'd probably select based on the speed limits where I typically drive. It really made it obvious I did not want a wide ratio trans with the 0.5 6th gear, I'd never use it. In my view I opted for the T56 to get the extra 5th gear. The TKO's have a top 5th overdrive gear on par with the T56 6th gear and I wanted to have the intermediate 0.8 5th gear option. With my low torque 302 I didn't want to jump from 4th with 1:1 to a 0.64 or whatever the TKO's have for 5th. I was afraid 4th would be too low and 5th too high and I'd want something in the middle. I use 5th a lot when cruising around town. I typically use 6th on roads with speed limits above 50mph or so and am very happy with the options I have with the 6 speed. No regrets, I'd make the same choice today if buying another trans, I'm very happy with the close ratioT56.
I went with the road race .82 5th gear TKO 600 for the same reasons.
I rarely use 5th as it is. I’d have to go out of my way to find a place use a .64 gear ratio.or a 6th gear, I’d be around 80mph at cruise rpm if I did.
Although, if I was starting from scratch, I’d most likely get the T56.
And an LS. 🙂.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode