Team Camaro Tech banner

Differential problem

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Aziz2010 
#1 ·
Hi,

1969 camaro, 12 bolts rear end, M20, and BBC 427.

It has new rear gear 3.42 posi (rear end guy installed it and cost 400$). I put valvoline 80-90 with limited slip and a bottle of AC-delco additive.i just drove it and when i reach 50 to 55 miles I heard it whining.

Should i add another additive bottle?? Or what should i do?

#4 ·
Adding more additive will do nothing. If the set up is incorrect fluids will not fix it. As stated above take it back. My experience shows “it will not get better after it wears in”.

#5 ·
I usually put 2 bottles of posi lube in it with the oil. That said ,the posi lube is for the clutches to not stick together. Sounds like you have a gear mesh problem. Like mentioned, I think it will only get worse.

#6 ·
I believe once new gears are driven that are not set up correctly it is very hard to get them corrected but at the very least take the car back immediately. The gears were not set up correctly assuming this is gear whine

Might be a good idea to get a pic of the pattern before....and after. I suspect the pattern now is not good

Setting up gears right is a learned skill and when done right the gears should be dead silent under any condition

chatter from limited slip clutch noise is what the additive is for, not gear whine

#7 ·
My 12 bolt with brand new US Gears (4.10's) does exactly the same thing. Slight whine between 55-60 mph... but only at light throttle/cruise. No noise if engine is accelerating/under load from 55-60 mph, and no noise above or below 55-60 mph. No noise at all during coasting at any speed. I installed the gears myself.

Below was my set-up pattern.
Drive Side .009 Backlash

Coast Side: .009 Backlash

It's still worth taking it back to the shop/person that installed the gear set to see what they say.
When I contacted Strange Engineering (producers of US Gear), they stated that some gear noise is acceptable.

#10 ·
I went to another guy to check the rear end (cause I moved). he said that the clearance was too much which is (15) and he reset the clearance to (7). the re adjustment cut the whining to the half, but still noticeable.

The guy said the gear and pinion looked great before he reset them and supposed not to whine. I drove the car almost 5 miles the first time then re-adjust the rear end and drove it another 5 miles.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.