Team Camaro Tech banner

12 bolt decoding

6K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  jimnecci 
#1 ·
I have a 12 bolt that I’m having trouble with decoding, the numbers are:

BP 5-19G

I’m pretty sure it’s off of an early Nova but that’s as far as I got

#2 ·
I believe BP is a 2:73 open rear. 5-19G is May 19th and the G is Detroit Gear. Im going to guess its from a 68 or 69 Camaro or Nova. They made a BP that was a 3:08 for 67 Camaro also. You should be able to see the cast ing date on it so that will tell you which year it is.

#3 · (Edited)
You've got something wrong in the numbers. BP is a 10 BOLT rear end. Post a clear high resolution picture of the stamp and the date code on the pumpkin and we should be able to figure it out for you.

Edit: After looking in my manuals, I DID find a 12 bolt BP code used on the 1965 Nova, 3.07 ratio, non-posi. If it really is a 65 Nova 12 bolt, tell me where you live and I'll come take it off your hands! And you won't even have to pay me anything to haul it away!!!

Ed

#4 ·
You've got something wrong in the numbers. BP is a 10 BOLT rear end. Post a clear high resolution picture of the stamp and the date code on the pumpkin and we should be able to figure it out for you.

Edit: After looking in my manuals, I DID find a 12 bolt BP code used on the 1965 Nova, 3.07 ratio, non-posi. If it really is a 65 Nova 12 bolt, tell me where you live and I'll come take it off your hands! And you won't even have to pay me anything to haul it away!!!

Ed
Good catch on the 12 bolt! I had 10 bolt on the brain.

#9 ·
#15 ·
3852980 is the center section for a 65-70 full size car (and a 65 through early 1967 Nova) 12 bolt, but again, BP is a 10 bolt code. Either you have a Frankenstein where the axle tube(s) have been grafted from one car to another, or someone made a mistake when they stamped the axle.

You can send the pictures to me. My email address is in my signature below.

Ed

#17 ·
Ok, got the pictures and sure enough, it's one of those VERY late 1965 Nova 12 bolt 3.07 open axles!

Casting date E-8-5 (May 8th, 1965) and assembly date of 5-19G (May 19th, 1965, Detroit gear and axle plant).

DO NOT CUT THIS AXLE UP!!!!

And again, send me your address and I'll be happy to come take it off your hands. I may even give you a few hundred dollars for it!!! :grin2:

Ed

Attachments

#18 ·
Thanks for the information, I knew it was off an earlier Nova and it was an open differential with a 3.07. As far as using it on my car, no, I’d rather it go on the correct car. I’ve thought about building my 10 bolt since it’s already on the car, what do you think?

I guess I’ll get it cleaned up, build a crate and put it up for sale. Thanks for your help, Sonny

#20 ·
No need for a crate. I shipped rear ends all over the country and even some out of the country on a pallet. Run it across the corners and wrap cardboard around the ends of the axles to protect them. Use blocks of wood bolted to the pallet and run lag bolts through the spring perch bolt holes into the blocks of wood. Put a block of wood under the pinion and run strap metal around it to hold it in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.