13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage
Flex plate or torque making noise?

I'm new to this so, take it easy on me

I have a bad clunking noise going on. At first I was concerned it was the motor but, I think it is the torque converter or in that area.

I put the car up on jack stands and I check the flex plate bolts. They were definitely not torque very high but, they were not falling off. I torqued them to 45lbs and re started the car. It seems less noisy but, it is still there.

I can grab the flex plate with my hand and I can rotate it back in forth about 1/4" and it seems to make the clunk I am hearing. It does not move front to back rather it rotates around the axis(as I assume it should).

Any ideas? I don't know how it bolts to the crank but that almost seems like the problem??

thanks,
Dave

Dave

1968 camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 03:47 PM
John

Garage
Re: Flex plate or torque making noise?

Flex plate should not move at all. It is bolted solid to the crank. If the crank isnít moving the flex plate does move. Not even a 1/4Ē.

Imo time to pull the tranny and change the flex plate.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 04:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Sounds like the holes in the flex plate got elongated because they were loose. Like John said... Needs replacing.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Flex plates don't move, and I doubt if the holes are all elongated the same to allow radial movement. Flex plates do commonly crak. That crack with time will cause it to blow apart so we are back to replacing the flex plate.

Big Dave
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

Thanks guys everyone. The flex plate is brand new (500miles on it), I bought the car as is and I have e receipt where they had a transmission shop align the bellhousing and install everything so, I assume it was done correctly but, who knows.

I did look for cracks and I don't see anything. After I tightened everything, it seems to make a little less noise but, still makes noise. I will have to pull the transmission. This stinks, lol.. I have almost everything to do a T56 magnum swap but, I want this noise figured out before I introduce more issues.

Dave

1968 camaro
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 06:23 PM
John

Garage

Assuming a shop did things right is a leap of faith I donít subscribe to.

Trust but Verify.
yellow69RS and EVL SS like this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

Yup, I agree.

So, drop the drive shaft and then I can unbolt the flex plate and slide the transmission back. Any thing else?

Dave

1968 camaro
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech
Travis

More than just the driveshaft......you need to drop the crossmember, unbolt the tranny from the block, disconnect cooler lines and TVS cable. Unbolt the flexplate from the torque converter and remove the trans.
Make sure you support the rear of the engine so you don't break the distributor cap or motor mounts.
I've never seen it but I bet the flex plate bolts to crank are loose or its cracked really bad - somewhat doubtful.

I have had a cracked flexplate before. No noise at idle but when you rev'd it up it sounded like a rod knock. Took it to 3 different shops in San Diego and they all diagnosed as a rod knock or wrist pin. Oil pressure was unchanged at all so I was skeptical. The fourth shop was a general repair shop and the old black man sitting in a rocking chair out front said "son...you have a cracked flex plate" as I got out of the car.
Sure enough there was a small crack in the flexplate.
EVL SS likes this.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech

You need to unbolt the TC from the flex plate then pull trans & TC to be able to access the flexplate. whatever the noise source is, assuming its not from the motor, it is not involved with a T56 swap so if that where you are headed your current flexplate, TC, automatic trans will not be used
EVL SS likes this.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

Thanks again everyone! Looks like I got some work to do. Thank god for the quarantine! If I do get it apart and it is just the flex plate, then I will go for the trans swap.

Can I unbolt the TC from the flex plate and push it way from the motor and start the motor to rule out the TC and trans?

Dave

1968 camaro
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by evl ss View Post
can i unbolt the tc from the flex plate and push it way from the motor and start the motor to rule out the tc and trans?
no!!
EVL SS likes this.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
no!!
lol, ok. Glad I asked but, can I ask why? Seems like the engine would still be supported, just not connected?

Dave

1968 camaro
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 08:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL SS View Post
lol, ok. Glad I asked but, can I ask why? Seems like the engine would still be supported, just not connected?
I haven't done it myself, but I have a friend that did it exactly for that reason on a 350 and had no problems. The shop I use suggested it to me, when I was trying to track down a noise myself, but it turned out to be a 3/16" hole in a header to head pipe gasket, sounded like a tick, but was just a leak forturnately.,
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 09:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

It can be done. It mostly depends on how far your torque converter is already in the pump. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with less than a quarter inch gap. However this will take any stress off if your flex pate . That may make the flex plate sound go away if it is in deed the plate that is the problem. The flex plate can crack in many places. Most of the ones I have encountered have been cracked in the center where it bolts onto the crankshaft. Your problem sounds more like a bolt hole problem to me. I have been wrong before though. My wife reminds me of that often. Then I say , but I picked you. That usually changes the subject .
EVL SS likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 09:52 AM
John

Garage

If the flex plate is moving it has to be fixed. Whether or not the source of the noise.

Nothing to be gained by trying the disconnect the TC from the FP and starting the engine.
EVL SS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode