Team Camaro Tech banner

Hurst Shifter Mounting Plate and Linkage

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Turbo_Jet 
#1 ·
As many you already know, I just go through building an AutoGear M22 for my 69 Camaro. While I was spending a bunch of money, I decided to go ahead and buy the proper installation kit for a 69 Camaro. The linkage and plate that I was using on my old M20 was just pieced together from a box full of rods. I had to bend a few of them to get it to work properly. The reverse rod never was quite right. The shifter plate that I was using was for a Pontiac. Gears 1-4 worked fine, but I had to wiggle the shifter a little to get it into reverse. The shifter came up through the tunnel hole fine and the shifter ball was right where it needed to be. I also had no clearance issues with the console, but my console is mounted rearward about an inch from where it is supposed to be.

The new shifter plate is a stamped sheet metal piece that bolts on under the tranny mount and it has a U-bolt that goes around the tail housing. It located the shifter further rearward and lower, but it rotated it forward so now, I have to reach way up to grab the shifter when it is in first or third gear. I also cannot install the four speed console plate because of clearance issues. My chrome shifter handle has a slight bend to the rear and to the left, but apparently it isn't enough. Does anyone know a part number for the shifter handle that should go with my shifter setup?

#2 ·
Which hurst do you have? My comp + fits perfectly. Also, if you go to the hurst website, you can look up application part #'s - very helpful. On my comp+, the shifter body mounts directly to the tailpiece - no U bolts, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.