Replacing pinion seal & possibly the yoke on 12 bolt - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rod

Replacing pinion seal & possibly the yoke on 12 bolt

The rear pinion seal on my 12 bolt is leaking like crazy. While mechanically inclined I have limited experience working on differentials. Locally they want $80-$100 plus parts to install a new seal and possibly yoke. How difficult is this? Are their any special tool or procedures I need to follow? Of course the local shops lead me to believe this is somewhat difficult. To me it seems like a rather simple fix, but I don't want to risk thrashing a 12 bolt over $80.

Thanks in advance

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 09:56 AM

Re: Replacing pinion seal & possibly the yoke on 12 bolt

The problem with replacing the seal is that underneath it is a crush collar that compresses when the pinion nut is tightened down. When you initially set up the gears, you squash down the collar until you get the proper preload on the pinion bearings.(this usually takes a breaker bar with a cheater pipe). When you take the nut off, you lose the preload, in turn changing the pinion depth, which changes the set up of the gears. I believe some people don't worry about that and attempt to mark the positioning of the nut and tighten the old nut and collar back down to that point after installing the new seal. (rather difficult to do). The correct way is to get a new crush collar and nut from your local dealer and reset the preload on the pinion bearings. The problem with this is that, (anyone correct me if iI am wrong) you set the pinion bearing preload without the ring gear in place, so that would require taking the carrier and ring gear out. The preload is set by using a 1/4 inch beam style torque wrench adapted up to the proper size of the nut. Be sure to check the yolk to make sure there is no damage or grooving in the seal area. I hope this helps and my intentions are not to scare you from doing this job yourself.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 10:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I replaced mine with no problem. Seal the splines with a little rtv and also around the outside diameter of the seal before installation. Also remember to grease the seal so it doesn't start dry. Buy a new nut and use a little locktite for insurance. You can crank pretty hard to tighten it without further crushing the sleeve. It takes about 100 ft. lbs. to futher crush the sleeve. Do a search. This has been answered many times. Good luck.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 12:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I'll try to save you a little search time; I did this a month ago. I saved these links.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...nion+seal+leak
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...nion+seal+leak

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Receintly I checked a 12 bolt to see how much torque it would take to crush a spacer enough to change the bearing preload while changing a pinion seal. I torqued the nut to 250 foot pounds before the bearing preload changed 2 inch pounds. When changing the seal you should be safe up to 150 to 175 foot pounds of torque on the pinion nut without cahnging the bearing preload. Use sealant around the outside of the new seal and in the splines of the yoke. Use grease on the lip of the seal and lock tight on the pinion threads.

'69 RS/SS396 pro street/427/4spd/9"

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rod

As always thanks guys for the help. Looks like I will be doing this myself. Just need to get a pinion seal , nut and yoke. Thanks again.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 05, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

The pinion seal that is sold for the 12 bolt car is not the original. They don't make the original seals any more. I have had some trouble with these. They want to go in too far and contact the outer pinion bearing. You might have to leave the seal sticking out about 1/8 inch to keep it from contacting the bearing. Check it out as you are driving the seal in.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 06:51 AM
Team Member
Tim

great stuff I need to do this soon,,

1967 RS/SS Coupe, Factory A/C, 2nd owner, original paint -Taho Turquoise 3 Spd on the floor, bench seat, fold down rear seat

1967 RS Convertible Factory A/C, PS, PB PG 327
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 06:58 AM
Team Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
The pinion seal that is sold for the 12 bolt car is not the original. They don't make the original seals any more. I have had some trouble with these. They want to go in too far and contact the outer pinion bearing. You might have to leave the seal sticking out about 1/8 inch to keep it from contacting the bearing. Check it out as you are driving the seal in.

it is now 2019,,does anyone make a good quality pinion seal for a 12 bolt car? or can I buy a solid spacer to fit under the current production seals??
Thanks!

1967 RS/SS Coupe, Factory A/C, 2nd owner, original paint -Taho Turquoise 3 Spd on the floor, bench seat, fold down rear seat

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Summit has them.. Ratech Pinion Seals 6109
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RAT-6109

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I haven't used the Ratech seal, but I'm told that it's similar to the original car 12 bolt seal.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
I haven't used the Ratech seal, but I'm told that it's similar to the original car 12 bolt seal.
I've used it and i've compared it. The Ratech is definitely not as deep as most

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 09:24 AM
Team Member
Tim

Thanks fellas, do you seat them fully then?

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Just pay attention as you drive the seal in. If it starts getting close to the outer pinion bearing then stop and see how much farther the seal has to go. If it looks like it's going to touch the bearing then don't seat it completely.
Niblet likes this.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 12:52 PM
Team Member
Tim

I can't visualize how you can "see" this because I would think the seal would be in the way but I will check it out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode