Another backup light question! - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 06, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Another backup light question!

I have pulled tranny out for clutch replacement, I have an RS/SS 68. This is an M20 with a Hurst shifter. I would like to put the backup switch on this tranny to activate the backup lights. The lights are in place and hooked up to the wiring harness. I believe I have identified the wire ( maybe ) that the backup switch may plug into. Do I use a Hurst backup switch or an original GM? I have been trying to figure out by looking at catalogs which switch to order but knowing nothing about the way it's suppose to be I am having trouble figuring out what to order. Anybody familiar enough with this to advice?

Thanks
Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 06, 08:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Another backup light question!

You can go either way, Ray. The Hurst switch will require you to change the terminals and possibly extend the wires, it mounts to the back of the shifter, hangs from the STOP bolt.

I'm not an expert on the linkage and factory backup light stuff, (experts, chime in?) but I "Think" your reverse arm on the trans has the hole for the 69 backdrive linkage, and this hole is too big for the oem style 68 backup light switch link.

I have aa surplus hurst switch if you want it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 06, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The OE bracket attached to the lower right two bolts. This bracket held the switch being actuated by a rod, metal coathanger, from the reverse lever on the tailhousing. The large hole shown on the linkage is not for the switch linkage; this hole is smaller, ie, 1/8 inch diameter.

The harness on the switch is long enough to plug into a plug located about the gas pedal on the firewall. The upper left trans-to-bellhousing bolt also has a harness clip to keep the harness from drooping/dragging.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Doing a good job is like peeing in your dark pants you get a warm feeling, but nobody notices

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 06, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys,

I'm still not sure which way to go. From another post it sounds like I need to change my shifter kit ( wrong shifter kit in car ). I do not know if that will effect the backup switch i need.
JimM, thanks for answering both my post's. I may want to get that switch from you, Like everything with the car my problem is growing, now shifter kit as well as backup lights.
How much do you want for the switch?
Send me a private message on the switch.

Thanks
Ray
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 06, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

No need to change shifter, use JimM's Hurst switch and go from there, unless you want the car to be OE.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Doing a good job is like peeing in your dark pants you get a warm feeling, but nobody notices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode