Team Camaro Tech banner

Engine/ frame mounts

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  pdq67 
#1 ·
There are lot of posts on this subject but I could not find one with this problem. The motor seems to sit too far back. I was able to bolt everything up but the trans mount is all the way at the end of the slots and I had to loosen the cross member to get them started. Also the clutch fork is very very close to the body when pushed in. Any thoughts why??? I did use the origional frame mount (307) with the 350.

#2 ·
Are they brand name motor mounts? I ask because I was installing my engine in my 68 Camaro and was withing 1/8" or less on getting the engine to set all the way down. I took them back and compared them to other brands and, sure enough, they were off just enough to not work. I got a pair of GM mounts and everything fit perfectly.

#4 ·
Yes, I have been to Dave's site but I do not see this particular problem unless I missed it.
I think the motor mounts were "neihoff". They were new and came with a bunch of other parts (I did not buy them.) They bolted right up, just about 1/2" too far back. Like I said it is together I am just not happy with the position.

#6 ·
You might just have the towers reversed.

You might look at the frame mounts/towers. The one with the hole on the side is the driver's side. This hole would be for the clutch return spring and extension to hook onto.

The harmonic balancer should be over the front sway bar.

#7 ·
I had the same problem when i out my 327 in. The previous owner had the motor frame monts reversed. It placed the motor too far forward. We switched them and it worked out fine. They are GM I believe.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. The motor is about 1/2" too far back (tward the rear wheels) not too far forward. I did double check and the mount with the hole for the clutch return spring is on the correct side.(Which, by the way, answered my question where to put the clutch return spring). I am not real keen on buying new frame mounts and motor mounts unless I can figure out what is wrong with the ones I have. Actually, I have a spare set of frame mounts but I can't see any difference in them. I know from Dave's web site the frame and motor mounts were different on a 350 but I do not have the 8" harmonic balance clearance problem. I thought all small blocks had the same motor mount locations. Should I just not worry about it? It is together, I just don't feel right about it with the trans mount bolts bottomed out in the crossmemeber slots.

#10 ·
The .610 alignment pins at the front body mounts are right on. Anyway the problem is entirely within the subframe as the problem is evident at the transmission mount on the crossmember which is attached to the subframe.

#12 ·
I just caught your tranny bolt(s) bottoming in their slot(s)...

My BB install does the same thing now that I have NOS frame mounts and correct poly motor mounts, plus I am using a single bolt in the poly mount for the tranny hold-down to be able to bolt her down w/o having to go to a BB stick crossmember.....

I also had to loosen my stock shifter so I could tilt it so I could connect the "torque-arm" to get it on my Muncie shifters center through bolt like it needed to be...

I will say it is a real pain bolting all the crap up under there when you are short a half a finger and have half-way fat hands....... Anyway, my hands didn't want ta fit up in there regardlesssssssss...

pdq67

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.