Engine temp - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 07, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Engine temp

I just picked up a 69 camaro with a 327 that i would say is moderately built. It has a 180 degree thermostat and if the temp gauge is right the engine runs at about 210 i have read some articles saying that it should not be above 200. Is this common or should i replace the thermostat. This is in cool weather about 50 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 07, 07:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Engine temp

check the gauge. starting with a cold motor, take the rad cap off and stick your wife's meat thermometer in. Then start it and let it warm up and compare the readings.
Do not let her see you take it or bring it back, and do not tell her you did this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 07, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

To give u some idea of Chevy temps....the idiot light is 235 *
if under 220 u are OK thu a cooling sytem in good knick will run the car 190 to 210 under very heavy load...
And follow Jim's advice...Dont get caught

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 07, 09:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Funny, I did that Sunday when I was putting the finishing touches on the Flex-a-Lite FLX180 Black Magic Extreme Fan. I think the meat thermometer was reading 5-10 degrees different than the gauge. Then again the gauge in the car was reading the temperature in the intake manifold next to the t-stat while the meat thermometer was in the side tube of the radiator next to the probe. If there is a big difference in temp you know it's the guage. If not, then replace the t-stat. I have a 160 in my car now and I replaced the leaky copper & brass radiator with an aluminum radiator.

Oh yea don't tell her you stuck it through the ride of the radiator or in the radiator when it made contact with the coolant.

That's about the only thing that went right on Sunday while working on this thing. I'll spare the details about the other stuff for anotherthread.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 07, 11:52 PM
Senior Tech
John

check the gauge. starting with a cold motor, take the rad cap off and stick your wife's meat thermometer in. Then start it and let it warm up and compare the readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Do not let her see you take it or bring it back, and do not tell her you did this.
Way to go Jim...If that guy gets slapped...the bloods on your hands.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 07, 05:02 AM
Senior Tech

You got caught once didnt you Jim, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 07, 05:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Since the meat thermometer is on the "cool side" of the rad, expect it to read somewhat lower, perhaps 10-15 degrees. Be sure not to even check it until the thermostat opens, you'll see the coolant start to "move".

If your guage is reading a stable temp at 210, I'd expect it's slightly inaccurate. Cars that don't cool right generally do not have a stable temp guage, may runn hotter sitting idling than at speed, or other variations depending on the source of the cooling problem.

Cars that are cooling "right" will run right on the thermostat rating, once it's warmed up, it stays right there.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 07, 05:42 AM

also just because you run a 180f stat doesn't mean your car will run at that temp. that stat meerly opens at that temp.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

what temp should the thermostat be in a SB camaro?
i just took out a 160* thermostat and put in a 195* thermostat. didnt check what the old one was till after i changed it.
so what temp thermostat is right??
thanks

69 Camaro RS/SS 350.<br />GM 2.02 angle plug heads.<br />223 dur/480 lift hyd cam.<br />69 z/28 alum high rise.<br />69 z/28 780 vac sec holly carb.<br />4 bolt mains,steel crank,forged flat top pistons.<br />Turbo 350 2800 stall with shift kit.<br />3:73 12 bolt posi.<br />functional ZL2 cowl induction hood<br />gear vender O.D.<br />13.2 in the 1/4 with slicks and open headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode