pre heater core removal on 69 small block w/ac - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 07, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

pre heater core removal on 69 small block w/ac

I have searched and found some info on this job, but not much on the vents inside before getting the pad off. Im stuck and dont want to break anything. So far, I have the glovebox door, glovebox, and passenger side tube shaped duct between the far pass. vent and the main vent out. My problems now are : kick plate on pass side wont come out due to the heater box in the way. I removed the plate and vac parts, but the kickplate is recessed and hits the heater box before coming out. Secondly, the ash try hits the rear plastic duct that moves around ( up and down) but doesnt come out. I am cautious because I dont want to break anything and was wondering and any 69 owners with ac small block have gone through these early steps to get the box out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 12:24 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: pre heater core removal on 69 small block w/ac

The 69 is an easy car to work on....

Till you hit the fan switch and heater box, pass sidekick panel..
Yep drop the ash tray...keep going...

Our and did you take notice which way u dropped the clove box compartment out?? didnt? opps....lol
yeap it does simply turn, roll, twist, at the right times in the right direction and it fits thru the gaps easy...lol

If you pull the carpet from behind the kick panel, u will be able to push it a few mm against the frame, and the heater box edge will clear it...
Sort of a 3 handed job.

It is far easier to pull the seat out 1st.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

I can't even get the ash tray out. It hits the duct behind it and It can't clear the bottom of the metal lip. I noticed two screws holding the upper duct into something. The duct blocking the ash tray goes into that so I guess Ill take them out and hope to get some space. The leaf spring job was easty compared to this one. Theres no room to get at anything lol. I'll take the cosole and seats out so I dont have to twist like a pretzel and give it another attempt.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Dont need to take consol out...
The ash tray...from memory is the 2 or 4 screws using a stubby screw driver, pull the orange cig lighter wire off and remove the opitical light, then comes out the front.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks, I was trying to get it out the back. It didn't look like it could come out the front.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

ok, on my car with ac and a 350, the ash tray only comes out the back. The key is too take out the bottom plastic duct with the two round vents which has two small bolts hoding it in at the bottom and a clip on top, the middle piece then falls down and leaves the top piece. The top of the three pieces has two screws in it that you can see. Thats all there is too and then that piece has to be fanagled under the radio speaker and out. THen, and only then will the ash tray, at least in my car , come out. The bottom lip on mine prevents it from coming out the front as its wider than the cut out in the metal dash.

I forgot to mention that you have to take the center ac vents out to see the screws for the top part of the plastic ducting. Two screws I think and it comes right out the front.

Last edited by rdmatic; Mar 28th, 07 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode