BB conversion, heater core problem... - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brad

BB conversion, heater core problem...

My car came stock with a small block V8 therefore has the small block heater core cover and heater core. The small block was replaced by the previous owner with a 396 therefore the heater core pipes are directly behind the passenger side valve cover. If I buy a BB cover and heater core, will they fit without any other modification?

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: BB conversion, heater core problem...

Do a search on this... You can flip your core over and put new holes in your cover and plug the old holes. You should even find pictures here. Here it is for you :

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ore#post742760

Also note that this only works on non-ac cars.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: BB conversion, heater core problem...

Here ya go:

It's easy. Use the same cover, but drill a hole in it for the new core. Then get the BB heater core adapter plate from one of the restoration parts places. Heres a thread with a pic of the adapter plate. To cover the hole where the SB core exited, you use a piece of closed cell foam. You can get it at the resto places or at a hobby store like Michael's probably. Also, you need to 'modify' the clip that holds the core in place... I don't remember exactly how, but it was pretty self-explanatory (if I figured it out )

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102938

Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I just noticed your screen name and it appears you may be an Aggie. You probably will need to find some more threads with pictures. :P Let me know if you need help with that...Go Horns!

Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brad

OUCH!! That hurts, but funny nonetheless. I wouldn't expect anything less from a t-sip. Thanks for the help. I haven't even looked at how the heater core is mounted. Do I remove it from inside the car or from the hood compartment. Also, what all, if anything do I need to remove in order to get the cover off?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

It's sorta a PITA. Here's a thread with pretty good instructions and tips.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49308

There is one nut that is under the fender where you can't hardly get your hand too. Some folks remove the fender...some the whole front clip...some have cut a hole in the inner wheel well...most find a way to get to the nut. I removed the front clip...then I sorta ended up with coilovers, bbc, new tranny, etc...beware the snowball.

Scott

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brad

Oh yeah, the "snowball effect". Just what my wife's afraid of. I'll take that into consideration because if I pull the fender, I might as well pull the clip, and if I pull the clip, I might as well upgrade the suspension, and if I upgrade the suspension, I might as well... well, you get the picture. O.K. so maybe I put this project off until October, because I don't need it anytime soon and it will be a great excuse to make a long Christmas list. Thanks for the help.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Sounds like your plan of action Scott.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi View Post
Sounds like your plan of action Scott.
Yep...Of course, none of that snowball nonsense would have happened to my car if you hadn't had said something to the effect of, "You really ought to convert over to a BBC heater core as long as you're replacing it..." to me that day at your house...And then gone on and told me how to do the conversion...

Scott

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 07, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

OK! I'm sorry. Next time I see you, we'll pull the BB and put a 307 in it. It will be slower to the ice cream stand and not as much fun.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode