Fan shroud - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Fan shroud

I recently installed an aluminum radiator and an aftermarket electric fan. I took of the original fan shroud and belt driven fan. Should I mod the old shroud and reinstall it? Will I gain more direct air flow or is this not worth the hassle?Maybe I should sell it!The electric fan does have its own cheezy shroud!Its a flexilite 15 in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 01:04 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Fan shroud

Shouldn't need one with and electric fan.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 07, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech
John

The original fan, clutch, and shroud will move a LOT more air than a 15" Flex-A-Lite, and will pull it through the total surface of the core, all the way out to the corners; the electric fan will only pull air through the core within its diameter. Gotta wonder why people do this.

JohnZ
CRG

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 07, 03:00 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage
Cool Re: Fan shroud

I have a new aluminum radiator, and bought two-10" electric fans.
I went back to my original shroud and 7-blade pulled fan.
Huge difference in airflow and cooling..

Anyone want to buy two-10" electric fans??
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 07, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech

Ghostbuster, post them up on Craigslist, you'll probably unload them fast to some 17 year old kid

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Why all the hype about the elctric fans then!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearsomfoe View Post
Because that's just what it is - HYPE. Unless you're running outrageous horsepower and physically don't have room for a fan, it's wasted effort trying to out-engineer the factory setup from a catalog. Leave the factory fan, clutch, and shroud alone, and just add more radiator cooling capacity if you add more power.

JohnZ
CRG
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 12:14 PM

I agree....stay away from electric fans. Been there done that.

They don't work that great plus they draw a lot of amps and the relays crap out. Keep it simple is my advice. Keep the mechanical fan if possible.

That's my experience from hot Atlanta, GA slow moving traffic.

Peyton
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Electric;
Do this instead;

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Cool Re: Fan shroud

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearsomfoe View Post
You can not expect to get full coverage with electric fans. They use two 12" fans which are not as efficient as one 18" mechanical fan. Without a shroud covering the tip of the fan blade (mechanical or electric) you reduce the effective area of the blade by a third; as the air on that portion of the blade just slides off the end of the blade without a shroud to stop it.

Compute the area of two 12" circles (226.19 square inches) and compare that with one circle of 18" diameter (A=π r^2) circle of 254.47 square inches. Now consider that the majority of the air is moved by the portion of the blade furthest from the central hub (radial velocity increases with the square of the radius) which tells you that a blade 33% longer will move more air because of its increased area and the tip speed of the blade.

The biggest factor involved in moving the air through the radiator, and the reason the electric blades are so small is because it has a wimpy 1/6th of a horse power motor. Compare that with the power of a SBC. Which do you think could turn a bigger blade better?

The "reason" every one goes to the electric fans is because they are new! Trendy, Fashionable, (Iím just waiting for the introduction of a designer label electric fan with a spiffy exclusive icon). Oh yeah, that and all modern cars (not muscle cars from the sixties) have a lower hood line for better aerodynamics (dictated not by stylist but by the EPA for mileage reasons). If you stuck an 18" diameter fan centered on the water pump in a new (well this assumed they still had front wheel drive) it would slice through the hood. And as mentioned new cars are mostly sidewinders with the motor put in wrong, and driving the wrong end of the car. So a fan stuck on the end of the motor would miss the radiator by a few yards (or should I say meters?).

There is no reason any one can give me to put an electric fan on an early model Camaro, or third generation (1968-í74 Nova); same for a 1957 to 1996 Chevrolet (B-bodies). Some SUVís are saddled with electric fans, only because GM likes to have one part fit all, and since they donít make mechanical fans any more your Caddy (former Suburban when it cost half as much) is stuck with it also.

Larger Dave
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech

My 69 Camaro is Mechanical Clutch Fan
My 63 Nova is Mechanical Clutch Fan

MY 2003 INFINITI G35 Sports Sedan is MECHANICAL CLUTCH FAN!

It just plain works, back in the 60s and today as well!

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode