Long or short water pump? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Long or short water pump?

Hi all,

How can I tell, and how will I know, whether or not there was a long or short waterpump in my ragtop? Has anyone got any pics to show the difference?
The engine was originally a 327 cu.in, without a/c. It has got PS and PB, if that makes any difference.
Why was there 2 different models made?

67 Swedish Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 01:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: Long or short water pump?

Here's a pretty good link that explains it. I believe that 67 and 68 used short pumps and 69 went to long.

Hey my link crapped out. It went directly to the water pump page earlier.

http://books.google.com/books?id=G2k...F1Qn9eF6jyIOdk

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt

Last edited by madmax87; May 8th, 07 at 06:36 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 03:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yup, 68 and earlier, all chevy passenger cars used the short water pump and drivers side alternator mounting. In 69, all changed to long pump, pass side alt (exc corvette) 69 was also the first year that heads were tapped for accessory mounting.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 05:46 PM

to tell the difference is measure from where it bolts to engine to back cover on pump. the short pump sits close to timing cover and long pump sits farther away from timing cover.short pump you cant get your pinkie finger in there. i got a extra short pump if you want the measurement ill go dig it out for you.alot of parts stores cant get it or dont know about the short pump i went crazy getting 1.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 07, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Thanks for the answer guys,

Take a look at these pics:

I take it this is a short pump, like it should be on a 1967 327 cu.in?
I don't know about the size of your fingers, but there's no way I could get one in between the timing cover and the pump...

67 Swedish Convertible

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 07, 10:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

ypu, short pump, drivers side alt.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 07, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Thanks for that Jim.

As you might be able to see from my photobucket link or from the pics attached, I am currently using the generator brackets from a 69...Still trying to get hold of a proper bracket for a 67 since I have no room to tension the belt. If I get a shorter belt, the generator will touch the valve cover and there is no way I can pull the generator further away due to the bracket,. But it feels good knowing I have the right stuff in there.

Thanks again.

67 Swedish Convertible

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 07, 12:56 PM

do you got header or not? different brackets.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 07, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Well...yes. I've got Flowtech Afterburner haeders on it? How come the're different?

67 Swedish Convertible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode