What is involved? Putting in air on a 69... - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
frank

What is involved? Putting in air on a 69...

What is involved in putting in air on a 69 Camaro? There is not an engine in the car so getting to everything is going to be easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 04:23 PM

Re: What is involved? Putting in air on a 69...

if it is a non-air car you need to take whole heater box off which in turns you need right front fender off car.take glove box out and heater controls. drill holes for a astro vent on right and left side of dash. run the new lines and hoses.its a day or 2 job.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 05:03 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Send a message via Yahoo to thedugan

Just open the window......

-Doug
68 RS/SS Conv
67 Coupe

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
frank

THNX for the info! Opening the window would be nice, but summer in Alabama does not lend itself to that tatic, espically in traffic.

Can anyone point me to online instructions/how to or maybe a recommended restoration book?

THNX

Frank
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Send a message via Yahoo to thedugan

http://www.classicair.com/Camaro69.asp

Instructions download is 3/4 down the page.

-Doug
68 RS/SS Conv
67 Coupe
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 7th, 07, 07:22 PM
Kevin

Factory type air is very complex and the conversion on a non air car is really tough. I recommend something like vintage air. Their kits have instructions.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 8th, 07, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
frank

THNX everyone!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 8th, 07, 06:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Frank, I put the vintage air kit in my Z,, used a factory dash pad and factory center vent to make it look better. What I liked about vintage was they use the factory heater controls . Like you, out here where the dirt blows constantly, you need AC.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 9th, 07, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

Did you guys charge your unit's, if so did you get those cans they sell at most auto parts stores? or take it somewhere to get it charged?

Founder MuscleSyndicate.com
Muscle Car Car Club
68 Camaro 468 - F1R Procharger - Converting to Procharged LS - in process now selling 468 BBC
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 9th, 07, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
frank

If the vintage air kit uses the heater controls, then how do you control the heat? Granted I have not read the instructions...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old May 9th, 07, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

I installed a Vintage Air in my 69' with factory air. What a PITA. The hard part isn't under the hood, it's the "under dash" part. Here is Vintage Air's download page for instructions.

http://www.vintageair.com/downloads.asp

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old May 9th, 07, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankrentef View Post
If the vintage air kit uses the heater controls, then how do you control the heat? Granted I have not read the instructions...
I just finished...last night...putting a vintage air in my 67,not quite the same as a 69 but close enough. On the install you have to take the existing heater control and change the cables and blower switch.What happens is the new blower switch is operated by the on/off part of the original control, just fan control as with the original .The hot/cold slider on the original controller turns on and/or off the A/C...cold side, Heat...hot side.There is a control knob on the new blower box that adjust the tempurature.I dont have the car running yet so I cant attest to how it operates,but I found the install and instructions to be mediocre at best.The instructions were vague in many places where they really needed to be specific and they have a real ***-backward problem in a few places where they tell you to do step A and then afterward you realize that step B would have been alot easier to accomplish with step A out of the way. All in all it was not a bad installation if you take your time and if you get frustrated walk away. I did mine over the course of 5 days...about 2-3 hours a night...with beer...so add your own timing in here as needed.I heard good stuff about the Classic? air system but I had already bought a vintage by that time so I didnt look into it that deep but I know some of the guys have it...might be worth a look
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 10:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I installed one on my 68 over the winter and i agree 100% with 67pat comments. Also the vintage air unit is non servicable if the heater core should fail you have to remove the whole unit and ship back to them for repairs. I understand that the classic unit is serviceable if you have a problem with the heater core. Also it was very diffucult here in NJ to find a shop to crimp the style fittings they use. You can index the lines and fittings and send back to them and they will do it for you free of charge. I had my system charged at a local garage becuse the sysytem needs to be evacuated with a vacum pump for at least 45 minutes. I will say all in all now that it is done it does spit ice cubes. One last thing I dont understand is why there kit does not include the throtle solinode to increase your idle when you swicth the unit on. You would think for what they cost it would be a complete kit.

There are no problems only solutions

68 Camaro, RS/SS, ZZ502, Retrotek Fuel Injection, 4 Speed.

2010 RS/2SS Black, 6 speed trans
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 02:54 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Holdon View Post
I installed one on my 68 over the winter and i agree 100% with 67pat comments. Also the vintage air unit is non servicable if the heater core should fail you have to remove the whole unit and ship back to them for repairs. I understand that the classic unit is serviceable if you have a problem with the heater core. Also it was very diffucult here in NJ to find a shop to crimp the style fittings they use. You can index the lines and fittings and send back to them and they will do it for you free of charge. I had my system charged at a local garage becuse the sysytem needs to be evacuated with a vacum pump for at least 45 minutes. I will say all in all now that it is done it does spit ice cubes. One last thing I dont understand is why there kit does not include the throtle solinode to increase your idle when you swicth the unit on. You would think for what they cost it would be a complete kit.
You know I was thinking of that today...what did you do about the throttle cellenoid?did you find one or just keep the rpm,s 100 higher in the summer?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 07, 06:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I havent done anything yet but I am going to put a throttle cellenoid on in the near future.

There are no problems only solutions

68 Camaro, RS/SS, ZZ502, Retrotek Fuel Injection, 4 Speed.

2010 RS/2SS Black, 6 speed trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode