overheating - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rex

overheating

I have a friend that has a 93 buick skylark custom with the 3.3 litre engine. overheats and it acts like a themostat. It is not, tried three different brands. Not the water pump either, water is flowing across the radiator. There is a 50 degree temp swing from upper hose to lower hose....water is flowing through the motor. Any ideas?

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 07, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: overheating

Do a HC test on the radiator for head gasket
If thats -ve
Pull the radiator out and get the header pulled and radiator manually cleaned
What is the bet the radiator has never had regular service...

This is assuming timing, and tuning is all correct.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 07, 02:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

What's telling you that it's overheating? Seems like a 50* drop should take care of any cooling needs.
A couple of years ago after climbing a grade I looked at the temp guage of my truck. It was pegged over to 'hot'. I immediately went into survival mode. Turned off the A/C and turned on the heater, stuff like that, and stopped at the next station. Coasted to the water hose, leaped out of the cab, popped the hood and,,,,,,,,,,,,,, stopped. Normal heat radiated from the engine. It's the guage. To hell with it. Bought a new Duramax!

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 07, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I'm with Fred, to hell with it buy a new Duramax! I did!

If you know you have a 50* drop across the radiator you must be using a temp gun. What is the engine temp? and in/out of radiator?

Tim Smith
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 07, 08:56 PM
Senior Tech

how hot does it get?
if it's under about 230 degrees, it's normal for the car. if it's boiling over at that temp, put a new radiator cap on it.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 07, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If u have n over heat issue..always do the basics
Sure the gauge maybe out, but replacing that knowing the basics are ok is a good safe feeling....
A quick check u dont have blocked cores...
Start the car up cold
Then carefully feel the radiator with open hand, slowly..
A good stock radiator heats up reasonably even.....
2 blocked or restricted cores can be felt easly
1 harder, and 1 restricted will warm up slow 1 end
At 1st u may find y think there is maybe one...
recheck on a couple other cold starts....been sitting 3 or 4 hrs even in a hot day.

The most likely blockage/ restrictions are in the bottom 1/4 of the radiator.

I have done this many times over the yrs and been there when the headers are pulled off the radiator, and seen where and what comes out.
radiators that at have become too blocked and radiators that are being checked out as routine for new heads/engine rebuilds...old new serviced and abused.

Just because a radiator is flow checked...That doesnt mean a radiator is working ar FULL effiency....Chevy 1st gen ragiators are way over built

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode