Compressor oil - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Compressor oil

I have read that when converting an original a/c from R-12 To 134A you only use 80% of the original amount of R-12. Have not seen any thing about the amount of compressor oil to use. The 68 Camaro system used 11 oz. of oil originally. Do you also cut the amount of oil to 80 % also?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 09:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: Compressor oil

Under pressure, the 134 is more in VOLUME, so reduce it normally 80%. do not use less oil.
Have you flushed the system? Not good to mix r-12 and 134....

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech
John

Paul,
If your converting over to 134a I recommend that you get the conversion kit. In it you'll have the correct o-rings for all the fittings and enough oil to do the trick. You'll also need to change out the accumulator (drier) as well. Reason being is that it still has oil in it and you dont want to mix the oils. Isolate the evaporator and condensor and flush those out. Dont flush the expansion valve. Put everything back together and pull a good vacuum on the system, leak check and then charge the system.
Good luck.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

there is an system flush for this also to run thru the condenser, basically neutralizes the old remanining contents. If you cant blow air thru this condenser well, its probably corroded internally, get a new one. It will keep tempatures down on compressor. For final flush pressure, try to use nitrogen if possible. You want to elimanite as much moisture as possible.
When adding entire amount of oil. put about half in compressor suction and rotate compresser internals, put remaining in to new accumulator.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 01:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

And don't forget. The old oil has gotta go. It's not compatible with 134A. Clean, clean, cle
Wanna borrow my nitrogen tank? Vacuum pump? Clean!

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Thanks to each of you that replied ! I will follow your advice to the letter.
Paul
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 07:33 AM
Retired
Jim

when my shop converted me to R134 they flushed the system and then added some Ester Synthetic oil to the system from a small bottle they have in stock. Talk to a few good shops that do a/c work and get the right info.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode