electric fan blowing fuses - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

electric fan blowing fuses

I have been having a problem with my electric fan blowing fuses. I installed this relay setup and it is still blowing fuses! (last setup had a relay no temp sensor)

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

It only seems to happen when I racing or high stress on motor not cruising.
Next step I guess is to reaplace the fan. I am currently runnign an ac delco dual fan.

Would a stock alternator have any thing to do with it?DO i need a highr amp alt?

ANy suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Re: electric fan blowing fuses

When I first installed my fan I had it blowing in the wrong direction. pusher vs puller. I swapped the black and red and all was good.

Jeff
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

Jeff,
thanks for the input. My fan is pulling the right direction, it just keeps popping fuses

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Sounds like a bad ground. I had a 55 Chevy that always blew the fuses for the dash lights. As it turned out, the paint I applied to the dash was Imron (old style poly) I thought I had grounded the cluster well, but I was wrong. I'd try taking the area for the ground down to the metal.If there is paint or slag in the way at all, it could be enough to mess up the ground,causing the fuses to blow. An electric fan draws a fair amount of amps. The fact that you are using relays should have addressed it. The ground also has to be up to the task. Fuses blow because of too much resistance somewhere in the circuit. I've found that at least 80% of electrical problems on Chevies are as a result of poor grounds. Give it a whirl....might be what the doctor ordered. If its not the ground, the fan is probably bad as you said.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 09:51 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

What Alternator you running. I don't believe a 10SI is big enough. You will probably require a CS130. An Electric Fan can demand as much as 35 Amps upon start up and will shock the Electrical System with a 600 Volt Back EMF surge through the Relay Coil if not Diode Protected and will burn out transistors in your after Market CD Ignitions Components and even your Digital mp3 Player. You can put in a bigger fuse but you can probably get away with a smaller fuse if you have a bigger alternator.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

Okay guys thanks for the input. I will replace my ground wire and see what happens from there! If it still blows fuses I will check out the alt. I think it is just a stock alt nothing upgraded.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You might insert a shop ammeter in line with the new ground wire to see how much current is being drawn. Then fuse for 150%.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode