Temp Gauge readings - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Temp Gauge readings

Hi All,

I have just purchased an 86 IROC with a 383..

I have only had it a couple of days but notice that the temp gauge shoots up off the scale after about 5 mins or less of running.. It varies a lot between FSD and say 220F. It can drop from FSD way past 260 to maybe half way in about 10 seconds so it does indeed sound like faulty gauge or sender. I was wondering if this is a common fault and if anyone could recommend any reliable aftermarket gauges or senders?

I did do a search through the archives but could not find exactly what I was after?

Thanks

DeK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Re: Temp Gauge readings

if it reads that hot and you are not spewing water out of the overflow, chances are it's not hot and a sending unit problem. The experts say, if you are not losing water, it isn't overheated... Also if it's a thin casting 400 block that has been bored... you might call Houston... cause you have a probllem

Sometimes it's better to let someone think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that, lets hope its just the sender unit then as the car is not losing water or steaming!

I will look to replace this..once I locate it!

Any recommendations for aftermarket equipment?

Cheers

Dek

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The sender will be scrwed into one of the heads, between the spark plugs, or more likely on the front of the intake, near the thermostat. It will have one wire attached to it.

From how it's behaving, I'd suspect a loose or damaged wire. Reading full scale is a sign of an open circuit, that would be loose, or partway broken.

For a quick peek at what the temp really is, take off the rad cap (with the motor cool) and put your wife's meat thermometer in it. Then start the engine and let her idle til she's warm and check the thermometer. Don't let your wife see you do this.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Jim I will have a quick peek today to see if I can find it.

I have already stolen a thermo from house to test I will let you know.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Hmm so I have changed the sender and .. no change I also realised that there was v lil water gushing out when I changed the sender so I filled rad up with water/coolant mix. But this still did not help

The needle still shoots up just over the red within a minute or so... and the car is very very unhappy esp at idle

Now, just before this, a few days ago i did notice the needle rising fairly rapidly and falling very quickly way beyond the time it would take the temp of water to change. Having changed sensor, this is much more gradual as expected but its still very hot past the scale.

Tonight I also notice my radiator cap is not working as overflow bottle was cool and not venting steam either so I will change that...

Both inlet and return 2-3inch pipes are warm/hot etc so water is being circulated. What else should I be checking?

- Rad fan and switch? (I have moroso engine fan I believe but not checked rad fan coming on)

- Thermostat???

Any other ideas?

Any info/ideas/help/suggestions would be very welcome..

Thanks

DeK
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 05:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

and does the meat thermometer agree with your gauge?

We really need to know if we're fixing an overheating problem or a bad gauge reading problem.

edit: also, I'm not familiar with some of the physical details of those years, exactly where on the motor is the sending unit?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 25th, 07, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Hi Jim,

Thanks fo ryour response...

The thermometer I brought with me to work to test did not work

I will try find a digital one at work to test with tho.

I will report back..

The engine, I believe is, the last of the 5.7s from the 2nd Gen Camaro's before the 88+ 5.7s reappeared.

The coolant sender is located as show in the red circle in the following pic
http://www.aquavibe.demon.co.uk/pub/enginebay.JPG

I also hardwired the fan from the rad this works but takes it power from a little box market Mr Gasket. One wire from this control box has a probe which is stuck into the rad.

Thanks for your help so far

Dek
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 25th, 07, 11:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

stuck thermo or its upside down...

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 25th, 07, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Hi Jim

Managed to spend some time to check it out today and it seems gauge was correct in water temp.

Suspect Head Gaskets as being cause.. esp now as steam is coming out of oil breather . Explains where rad water was goin with no obvious leaks

I am hoping the job will not be too difficult compared to modern day blocks!

Any high performance Gasket manufacturers anyone can recommend?

Are Fel Pro a respected performance manufatcurer?

Thanks for any info anyone may have.

Thanks

Dek
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 25th, 07, 04:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Bad news, but at least you know.

Does the oil look milky? That would confirm a problem.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 07, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

HI Jim,

Indeed the oil is looking milky now which is bad news..

So gaskets, head skim.. Not sure how much that is gonna cost
But it seems that accessibilty is much more straight forward than modern
performance cars...

Gaskets wise, I can see from the car's previous history the car had Fel pro 1010s then later fitted with 1094s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode