Electric Fan on my 69 with 350 engine HELP! - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Electric Fan on my 69 with 350 engine HELP!

I just installed a 14 electric fan and pulled off the stock clutch fan from my 69 camaro. Question? makes me uneasy with the electric mounted it to the radiator and left the shroud on for apperances what cfm is need to make sure the car doesnt over heat? It was running perfect with factory set-up but thought this would be more efficient? The fan is suppose to be correct for application but anyone had any experiences I should know about? any downfalls? ANYTHING?? I had to use the probe type sensor I did not have any spot to put it right in the block that would cancel my temp gauge. My temp gauge is only the factory counsole type so not exact temp is stated just the marks between high and low......HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 10:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Electric Fan on my 69 with 350 engine HELP!

In late March/early April, I installed a Flex-a-Lite Black Magic Extreme #180 on my 1969. It has the universal mounting brackets. Not the best looking set up for mounting, but it works very effectively. The CFM is 3300. As far as the temp probe, I placed mine through the small gap by the side of the radiator next to the side coolant tank. It did not want to go through the cooling fins. That's fine with me since this is a brand new radiator and I'd rather not put something through it. As far as the temp guage, I have an aftermarket autometer gauge.

The 14" fan with shroud should be ok. The guy I bought my car from had a fan & top shroud set up off a 1984 or 1986 Z28 on my car. He turned the fan on or off with a toggle switch depending if the coolant temp was hot or cold. I replaced that & the radiator.

As far as the probe type sensor this only senses the temperature of the radiator and turns the fan off & on at a certain temperature.

What I did on my car is; I used my wife's cooking thermometer (some call it a meat thermometer, Thanksgiving Turkey thermometer, etc). I placed the thermometer in the radiator, I adjusted the temperature control and the rest was history.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 03:49 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Put the clutch fan back on.
GM knew what they were doing..

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 01:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Clutch fans are ok but that was for 1969. That's like saying GM knew what they were doing in 1969 when V8 Camaro's had 4 wheel drum brakes!! Four wheel drum brakes $*ck!! Heck drums $*ck period!!

I like electric fans much better. Gm knew what they were doing then, but from 1975-1986 and some say until 2002, they were clueless and that killed them today.

The Flex-a-Lite Black Magic Extreme is awesome. The Lincoln Mark VIII fan is good too but it uses nearly 100 amps on start up and requires a separate controller.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 02:09 PM
Senior Tech

It was running perfect with factory set-up

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Side Goons & Hitmen View Post
The Lincoln Mark VIII fan is good too but it uses nearly 100 amps on start up and requires a separate controller.
Separate controller? Do you mean a relay and a switch?

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I need a tad more feedback? do you think that the factory temp gauge in the console has any accuracy? I want the electric fan since the car out here in So. Cal. gets hot when you run the AC in summertime. I know that electric is way to go but it is scary, haha! anymore feedback?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchb7 View Post
do you think that the factory temp gauge in the console has any accuracy?
Some are, some aren't....you could double check with a heat gun and if it's off add resistors inline or on the back of the guage to get it where it should be. In my 69 ragtop it was off and in my 67 ragtop it was off, so I set them straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchb7 View Post
I know that electric is way to go but it is scary, haha!
An electric fan shouldn't be scary. They work just fine. I like mine, it worked great here in the summer in my 69 ragtop with AC and it works even better in my non AC coupe. I run a Lincoln Mark VIII fan and that damn thing moves so much air I'm not sure if I could ever overheat an engine... Maybe if I didn't add coolant.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I prefer the Stock GM Clutch Set Up too but I gan't find a BBC Shroud for a 70 Camaro so I put in a Fan out of a Volvo - a very nice compnent - using a Temp Sensor into the top Rad Hose to remotely control a 75 Amp Bosch Relay with Fam motor on a 40 Amp Fuse. Yes it works fine all you have to do is dial in the Temp Sensor to cut in when the Engine Temp reaches your desired heat.

Down sides:

You require a Diode across the Relay to control Back EMF from the Relay Coil when the Fan shuts off or it will fry your CD Ignition Module and any other Transistorized Crcuits that you are running.

You have to use at least a CS130 Alternator to maintain voltage levels at Idle and handle the Voltage Drop Surge when the Fans Start up.

How Dependable is it over the Long Term compared to GMs Clutch Fan which has proven extremely reliable.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
You have to use at least a CS130 Alternator to maintain voltage levels at Idle and handle the Voltage Drop Surge when the Fans Start up.
Do you have AC? In my 69 ragtop I had AC and did indeed need a 130 amp aftermarket alternator, but in my non AC coupe the stock type 94 amp alternator is holding its own so far just fine....although I don't daily drive the coupe like I did the ragtop.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Put the clutch fan back on.
GM knew what they were doing..
Quote:
It was running perfect with factory set-up
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....
Quote:
Clutch fans are ok but that was for 1969. That's like saying GM knew what they were doing in 1969 when V8 Camaro's had 4 wheel drum brakes!! Four wheel drum brakes $*ck!! Heck drums $*ck period!!
Bad comparason...cars where made to go, not stop...seat belts where not manitory either...just cause 1 issue is doubtful there is no need to ***-u-ME Everything is crap....

Stick with the clutch fan...KISS...Keep it Simple Stupid

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Bad comparason...cars where made to go, not stop...seat belts where not manitory either...just cause 1 issue is doubtful there is no need to ***-u-ME Everything is crap....

Stick with the clutch fan...KISS...Keep it Simple Stupid

these are the things I need to hear! I will go with it for awhile and see how it performs. Will free up allot of power and should work allot more efficient I am hoping!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 06:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steptoe, that was funny!! Thanks for the response!! But if cars were made to go back then, can you explain the E78 or F78 Bias Ply garbage tires on cars back then? If they were made to go can you explain the antiquated suspension? Please!! My 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 w/ 4:10 factory gears can go faster than most cars back then. The 1987 Buick GNX would give the 1970 LS6 Chevelle all it could handle in the 1/4 mile. And that was documented in tests. And perhaps we will see a clutch fan on the Z06 Corvette, Mustang Cobra or Dodge Viper any time soon? Relax!! I'm just breakin' [email protected]$ as they say on The Soprano's. You know I love all you guys!!

Guys, I did not say I don't like clutch fans. In fact I do like them. I love old cars and many things about them. But after the past 2 weeks I have have "schooled" in modern technolody vs old school technology. They each have their place.

You gotta give your props to Ford. They married old school styling on the 1969 & 1970 Mustangs with new school driveability.

Clutch fan is easier but the Flex-a-lite Black Magic Extreme only uses 18 AMP's. Electric fans are better. That is proven by today's cars. I'd take a 500HP 2007 Mustang over ANY Mustang of yester year. It handles better, drives better, has a radio, has a/c, has power accessories and will outperform the 429 Boss on the 1/4 mile. Remember today's horsepower is NET SAE. Not Gross. That was also stated not by me but in Motor Trend, Car Craft and other magazines.

Bottom Line: After bashing the Z06 and it's hefty price tag a few months ago on this site I will also say Dollar for Dollar I would rather own the Z06 than a 1967 427 Sting Ray. The Z06 is cheaper and it's a better built car. God, I can't believe I'm actually saying what I am saying. And no I am not drunk or on drugs. I guess I'm getting closer to 40 every day and I feel old!! Maybe it's because I haven't driven my car or worked on it in like two months. Hopefully I'll get my first gen fix on this weekend!!

P.S. lchb7, Here is the answer to your problems http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku WOW!!! I bought mine for like $240 a few months ago. This thing went up to $279 and now it's $306!! OUCH!!

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Steptoe, that was funny!!
Good to see ppl that understand Kiwi humour m8...
See my avatar...what is on the trailer? NOW thats the sort of cooling system ALL cars should have....water circulation by convection
No water pump AND no fan at all...and no thermostat...or pressure cap
Bloody thing will run hard aout all day, or be stuck in heavy traffic for hrs onn end...never over heats....Dam it is so relible it doesnt even need a temp gauge.

That is how thing should work...1920s technology m8
And the window winders never break...the windows slide up and down..
One tends to loose the remister sometimes down the back of the seat thu...
Hydrolics never go wrong, there arnt any, all rod brakes and it stops on a dime.
Same fast ratio in the steering box as the Camaro too...
And one doesnt need to have or buy aftermarket jumper cables...comes with a crank handle, dont even have to open the engine like with jumper cables.
Also no ign key to loose...turn on ign press the starter switch...
Stuff all cylinders or piston to screw up...there is no #1 TDC...only 2 pots lol
No rust to worry about in the chasis or frames...wood.

Now that is a user friendly car...

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 10:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I just put fans from an LT1 4th gen in my 2nd gen. Running it with a DCC controller. It idled for 30 minutes in the garage the other day and sat dead nuts at 180* The controller, and spal makes a similar one, ramps up fan voltage slowly, varying the voltage to keep the radiator at a constant temperature. Pretty neat. I'll report back when it gets hot out. I like electric fans - they weight less & free up a few HP. I used the GM stufff because I can get a fan motor off any auto parts store shelf.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode