327 Running Hot Please Help - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 07, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

327 Running Hot Please Help

I am at a total loss. My 327 which has about 300 miles on it has started running hot. Well, 210 - 230 which to me is too hot. It used to run at 185 at the most. I changed thermostat to a high flow 160 degree, new coolant, new radiator, etc.. Do you think my discount auto water pump went out or something. Please help. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 07, 05:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: 327 Running Hot Please Help

Are you sure you don't have an air pocket? Did you change the fan? I would pop the hose off the water inlet where the t-stat is and see if you put in on properly. While its out, fill the block with anti-freeze.

Test the t-stat in hot water to be sure it opens all the way. Put it back in and replace housing , hose , etc. Fill the system the rest of the way putting anti-freeze into the radiator .If that isn't the problem check that the fan is properly into the radiator shroud. About half in and half out is about right. See if any of this helped.

Kev
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 07, 03:05 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 327 Running Hot Please Help

My 327 never runs hot. I put alotof of that to my stage 1 stewart water pump. Stewart water pumps are awesome ! I think I have seen summit is now carrying them, otherwise just order directly at

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/.

Please note: It won't cure the problem, if something else isn't right ! Make sure that your radiator cap is good !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 07, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK

Why would the radiator cap cause overheating?

-Funk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 07, 10:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

A radiator cap won't cause overheating. Venting to too low a pressure can cause boiling, if the coolant temp is hot enough to boil at that pressure.

... has started to run hot?
As in for most of those 300 miles it did not run hot, but reecently it does?

Check your timing.
Check your fan clutch if you run one.
Open the radiator (when cold) warm the engine, and observe that coolant starts flowing at the temp of the thermostat.
Compare the temp of the upper and lower rad hoses, lower should be notibeably cooler.
Observe inside the radiator while you jack the throttle a few times (motor hot enough to open the thermostat) level should drop, then rise more, then stabilize where it started out. There should be minimal if any bubbles. Bubbles would indicate a problem, head gaskets maybe or worse.
Does your oil look milky at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 07, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 327 Running Hot Please Help

As Jim stated a bad radiator cap will not cause it to overheat, it will affect the temperature at which your coolant boils. For example : straight water boils at 212*. If you now have this system under pressure, it will boil at a higher temperature. This is why you hear nascar racer's say the water temp. is 240* and this is fine. They are probably running a 22 lb. cap.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 07, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

A bad radiator cap will cause over heating....
When the water biols, and it will in the block...it causes steam pockets, this causes cavitation in the pump and bad circulation...
Also loss of water .

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode