Classic Auto Air install - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 29th, 07, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Classic Auto Air install

Help. I'm in the process of installing Classic Auto Air (CAA) in my 68 Camaro with 327 which had factory a/c. Spent the extra $75.00 on the kit which allows use of the original a/c- heater control head, center dash a/c vent, and pass & driver side ball louvers. The OEM behind the dash plastic duct housing for the middle vent fit snuggly up against the back of the vent. It has plastic bosses in the housing which press against each end of the middle cylindrical louver shaft holding it in place. Problem is the OEM housing can't be used with CAA's a/c unit. You have to use CAA's housing which doesn't have a means to hold the middle louver in place against the OEM Chrome bezel. The cyl. louver falls backwards, loose in their duct housing, and will probably clang around in the OEM front chrome bezel trim piece every time the car goes over a bump. CAA said today they are aware of the problem and suggested I(me) use ingenuity and fabricate tabs to apply pressure against the middle louver shaft to keep it in place. Thought about JB Welding it solidly in the open position.SOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 29th, 07, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: Classic Auto Air install

Solved the problem. The middle vent is more like a louvered rolling pin. Shoved a thin-walled plastic bushing on each end and pressed it into place down the narrow hallway on each side behind the chrome bezel trim piece that you see from the driver's seat. Next, JB Welded two tiny braces against the bushings so when you adjust the vent it only rotates instead of going backwards." When there is a will there is a way."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 29th, 07, 06:53 PM

use a ty wrap,push in it until the louver is tight and take a razor and cut it off smoth from the underside.you can not see the repair. the serrated edge on the ty wrap makes it tight.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 29th, 07, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Ad.powell, Great idea! Wish I had waited for the quicker fix. I'm curious. Did you install Classic Auto Air? If so, are there any other surprises? Tomorrow the Power Pack gets hung. Pleas. GoodGuys this weekend. Hope the a/c is completely installed for the show. Thanx, Terry
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 30th, 07, 07:45 PM

I put O-Rings over the end pins to avoid rattles, and a small piece of weatherstrip rubber at each end, then attached the factory louver to the dash. Worked good (and it looks alot better than Classic Air's louver). Everything else about the kit was great
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 30th, 07, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

As my Grand Pa used to say, "There's more than one way to skin a cat!" Like your solution too. Modifications git my creative juices flowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode