Engine Temperature - Should I be concerned? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Erik

Engine Temperature - Should I be concerned?

I have a 1969 Camaro with a 327 that I recently got back on the road. The motor was rebuilt a few years ago, but only has about 500 miles on it.

The engine runs great, but the past few weekends I have noticed that the engine temperature has been going up to 210 degrees after an hour or so of driving. This didn't happen in the Winter or Spring so it may be related to the warmer summer temperatures ( it's been around 90 degrees the last few weekends). When I drive it, it comes up to about 190 degrees and then stays there pretty steady for maybe a half hour or so. But as I continue driving with some stops, it eventually gets up to around 210. The first time it got to 210, the radiator overflowed some, but that hasn't happened since.

I have a 4 core radiator that I bought a few years ago that I think is fine. I just put a new water pump, 190 degree thermostat , heater core and hoses on. I also have a new 16 lb radiator cap.

My fan is about 2 inches outside of the shroud so I plan in extending it to see if that helps.

Should I be concerned? Any suggestions on what I might check?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 09:55 AM
Retired
Jim

Re: Engine Temperature - Should I be concerned?

Your fan needs to be "inside" the shroud, thats probably your problem. The fan outside the shroud isnt pulling air like it should. I think it should be inside by about 1"-2" at most. Others with more cooling expertise will comment Im sure too.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I agree with everything Jim suggested, put the fan into the shroud.

If it still doesn't cool, my suggestion would be to get a larger crank pulley to overspeed the water pump and fan.

And Welcome to the Club! I see you're already into the East Coast humidity.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 11:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

I thought you always wanted the fan to be 1/2 in, 1/2 out of the shroud opening.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 11:18 AM
Retired
Jim

Dennis the inner most part of the blade should be inside the back edge of the shroud about 1-2" so it pulls completely thru the radiator and not from around the outside of the shroud where the air is hotter.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 12:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Dennis the inner most part of the blade should be inside the back edge of the shroud about 1-2" so it pulls completely thru the radiator and not from around the outside of the shroud where the air is hotter.
Thanks

Dennis
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 01:22 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Have a look at the CPUI fan or case fan on youe computer....
u will notive that the tips od the fan blades are as close to the shroud part as possible...
This stops air spillage off the ends of the blades, dramatically increasing fan effiency
To me your pic looks wrong...there seems to be a huge gap between the fan blade ends and the shround????...is that the right shroud/fan combo???

Also check the radiator cap is good and at least 13lb (std is 15lb I think)
Quote:
I have a 1969 Camaro with a 327 that I recently got back on the road. The motor was rebuilt a few years ago,
Did u get the headers on the radiator removed and cores manually cleaned....
This should be std proceedure as is new oil pump/water pump is when rebuilding a new engine.
Quote:
But as I continue driving with some stops, it eventually gets up to around 210.
When one stops, there is no water moving, or very little, the heat of the engine heats the water faster hence the higher reading, then when one is moving again the temp drops...this is normal.
Quote:
The first time it got to 210, the radiator overflowed some, but that hasn't happened since.
This is normal when the raditor is over full

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Erik

Thanks!! I'll go ahead and extend the fan and see if it helps.

How hot should I expect the engine to get on hot days in stop and go traffic? If it never goes above 210, is that OK?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 02:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Steps, if your talking about the pic I posted, yes it is the correct shroud and radiator and 772 fan. The problem is I have an aftermarket upper shroud bracket and it does not let the shroud drop down far enough. The gap on the bottom of the shroud is the width of a finger. Still looking for a correct upper bracket.

Dennis
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 02:24 PM

you also may want recheck your timing
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech

210 is nothing to worry about.
hell, with a 15lb cap, you really don't need to worry until it hits 230 or higher.
of course, it might detonate a bit at hotter temps, but that's the only really a problem if you don't tune for it.
get the proper fan- a good HD clutch fan- and get it into the shroud properly.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Does 69 have a fan clutch? If so is it kicking in?

If no fan clutch and you are more concerned with cooling than 100% original you might consider a performance fan or electric fan.

Tim Smith
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 07, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Erik

It has an aftermarket flex fan that I bought several years ago. Would I be better off getting a GM clutch fan from some place like Rick's Camaro or some other type of fan? I was just planning on extending the flex fan into the shroud for now.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 07, 03:23 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Only comparison I have was on a 79 Chevy PU. Hands down flex fan pulled more air.
Hands down flex fan was a nuisance from a noise perspective.

I ended up with a clutch(took 3 to get a good one) and a home made shroud on a stock fan.

But it ran hotter above 100* ambient with the stock setup. I was after quiet on that truck.

The clutches were an expensive PITA. Last about a month, then you could tell they weren't kicking in any more.

Tim Smith
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 07, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69banana View Post
I was just planning on extending the flex fan into the shroud for now.
I would do this for now and see what it does.

Be sure to check the bolt length, too short sux. Too long and rubs the pump casing. You want 100% thread engagement into the pump flange.

The additional thing you might do is to get some poster board & duct tape and blank off the space from the header to the radiator support. There is a thread and template for making this piece from alum floating around here somewhere. The second place to mask off is from the bottom of the valance panel to the radiator support. By doing this effort, you're providing a wind tunnel to prevent recycling the hot air.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode