69 SB with A/C heater box - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
rob

69 SB with A/C heater box

Ive read and searched but can't get a definitive answer on how many bolts hold in the heater box or heater core holder. Im trying to do it without taking the fender off from the passenger seat area but would like to know how many studs or bolts I will be looking for on the firewall and if that's where you do the unbolting from. Has anyone done this lately and if so could you give me a heads up on how many bolts hold this mysterious box in? Any other tips appreciated. I have the interior stripped down pretty bare and am getting ready for the evil deed ( evil because you cant see much with that evaporator cover box on the firewall) but would like some info. I assume I'll be taking off the nuts from the firewall? Thanks in advance. To summarize, how many bolts and do they all come off from the firewall side ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 07, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
rob

Re: 69 SB with A/C heater box

i have everything off the heater box ( plastic vent pieces on the left side and cables)except the heater box itself which must be bolted on from the engine firewall somehow. I took off the only two bolts on the box rim on the passenger side interior that I can see ( one on the top and one on the bottom). When I look at the firewall and evaporator case I dont know what to unbolt. Obviously two come off from the inside. Does anyone know how many come off from the outside and where they are located to get the heater box out from the inside?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 07, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: 69 SB with A/C heater box

I believe that there are three studs with the nuts on the engine side. I think it is the interior box that you are trying to remove. The fender only needs to be removed to take out the engine side box with the Fan motor in it. There are two studs next to the large square opening, going into the interior and there is one more, just to the left of the lower heater core outlet tube.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 07, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
rob

yes, the interior box with the heater core in it. Luckily my fan works so I wont be pulling the fan motor. My flapper and cable in the removable vent on the left of the box was frozen due to warped plastic but I grinded the flap and it works great now. I understand your description of the stud near the lower heater core hose. That looks hard to get a grip on. I dont really understand the location of the other two you mentioned. All I can see are two nuts, one on top of the other, looking at the right edge of the evaporator casing on the engine firewall. I really appreciate your help and knowing there are only three more bolts you get off from the outside is a good start. On the bright side all my flaps are working great now that I got to them and lubricated the controls and the flaps a little. They didnt even budge before.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 07, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

It is hard to explain, but you will understand when you get the box out ! If you have both sides of your evaporator suitcase together, I believe the two nuts look like they are just holding the suitcase cover to the firewall. (on the engine side). They are about 6.25 inches apart and in the same vertical plane.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 07, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
rob

yes, I think I know what you mean. On the firewall engine side and they are visible and on the edge of the evap casing. The lower one has a wire retainer thing attached to it to prevent the wire from hitting the engine. I appreciate it. Those two look pretty easy compared to the other one near the hose but with the car up on ramps I think I can get to them. To summarize for anyone doing this ( 69 small block with a/c inside heater box r&r ) in the future. To get your inside heater box out from the passenger side interior, you have two bolts that unsrew from the inside and three nuts on the outside. Two are easily visible from the engine compartment and one is tucked away near the bottom heater hose and looks to be a bit longer. SO all together there are a combination of 2 screws on the inside passenger side and 3 studs on the firewall, two of which are easily visible standing over the engine.
I really appreciate the help and Im sure someone in the future will too.

Last edited by firstrs; Jun 7th, 07 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode