Hose routing with VintageAir and smooth firewall? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 07, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Question Hose routing with VintageAir and smooth firewall?

I've seen in several posts where members have run their hoses between the inner and outer fenders then through the old blower hole. I have not been able to see where the hoses were routed from there.

I'm reluctant to cut a hole in the fresh air plenum because I'm worried about drainage from the cowl making its way into the interior. How did others solve this potential problem? I thought about using the VA bulkhead connector but the fresh air plenum is convex, so I'm not sure that would work.

I'm running the VA Compac unit mounted under dash with the DSE bracket, and as mentioned I've smoothed the firewall.

I would really like to see any pictures of similar installations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 07, 11:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Hose routing with VintageAir and smooth firewall?

I've seen 2 different bulkhead connectors mounted in the firewall below the plenum, near where the original heater hoses ran thru.
Seen 2 types of bulkhead connectors, one is a 2 by 2 square, the other is 4 in a row.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 07, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

There is a blower motor cover with grommets in it that is used in the 68 to 72 Chevelle kits, we can buy that piece seperate of the kit. From there you have to snake them over the kick panel (you will be triming that panel. it works real well.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Hose routing with VintageAir and smooth firewall?

Frank, thanks for the help. I now have a clear idea of what needs to be done.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech

Here.. take a look at what I done a few years ago!

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODSRJ View Post
Here.. take a look at what I done a few years ago!

Any pics of the interior routing??

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

HOTRODSRJ, I'd seen your picture in a prior post. It was my motivation to go this route. I'm just trying to sort out my routing through the fresh air plenum, kick panel, etc. Would you do it the same way if you had to do it over? I'd like to learn from your hindsight.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 08:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

me 2!

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 07, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech

Maybe I can help by commenting on a few installation issues and yes... I would do it again definitely. It's a very clean way to route the hoses and simply bring them up from the side in the front. Piece of cake! And.. really makes the underhood very uncluttered.

First, I too bought the vanilla Vintage Air unit for the 69 and it worked flawlessly to date. Realise that the firewall that you are looking at in the picture above is a "cover" as opposed to a "smoothed" welded and ground firewall. The cover is made from 22ga aluminum that has been powder coated. So, there is still the original hole behind the cover which is paramount for routing the hoses. But, I think if you have welded up the original hole you can still accomplish this routing procedure.

I then used a power saw to cut an oblong hole in the fresh air plenum to the interior. This was not easy and is very cramped. I think I used a small cut off wheel too. This hole is located at the very top forward position on the kick panel surface under the dash mostly on the same plane as the old heater blower motor hole (where the hose exits to the firewall. The hole has to be large enough to pass the four hoses (and cram in edge protection too). I think I had to gently bend one of the exit hoses from the air conditioning coil to make it so all the hoses exit as straight line to the hole that I cut. I also made it so the heater valve was accessible right at the bottom of the heater core hose. Just make sure you have all the connections are tight before you put the firewall cover on.. because the access to the front hoses on the top is impossible and your heater hoses should be as quality as you can buy.

I used the plastic blower motor cover to use as a hose caddy by drilling the appropriate holes and using grommets to make it air tight. Also, I used silicone adhesive to fill in the gaps in the plenum holes around the hoses. This too was to prevent air incursion and to hold the hoses in place.

You don't have to pressure test the system if you don't want too.. but I did just in case. I helped on another guys Camaro and we didn't test anything and it was good to go and still ticking after 5 years!

Hope some of this helps!

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode