Looking for A/C Complete System - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 07, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darrell

Garage
Looking for A/C Complete System

I am looking for a A/C complete system for my 68 that was not originally equiped with air. I would like something that replaces the original heater unit and not have to plug the hole in the firewall. I know with vintage air the the hole in the firewall is plugged, I would prefer not to do that. If you know any companies that sell a complete system, please send me their link. My car is totally apart and ready to be media blasted.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 07, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

Re: Looking for A/C Complete System

I would purchase a complete A/C System out of a Donor Car and send it to Classic Auto Air in Florida to be totally refurbished. They also sell systems that are Model and Year Specific. My cars are all factory Air Cars and every system was restored perfectly and converted to R134A at no additional charge. http://www.classicautoair.com/Perfect.asp
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 07, 01:40 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Putting factory air in a non-factory air car is a tone of work! The firewall cut
outs are not the same, there is a cut in the cowl for the cowl plenum valve, the kick panels are different etc. The factory set-up is fine for a restoration, or if that what you really want. However, it is ugly as sin & why GM thought that putting the evaporator in the engine bay was a good idea I will never understand.
What do you mean by plug the hole? The vintage air unit has a cover that relpaces the outter heater box cover that origionally was on non-a.c. cars.
I think installing a modern system that works better is a lot less effort than getting a donor car and cutting out and welding back together firewalls.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 07, 03:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up Re: Looking for A/C Complete System

I am going to be selling a 67-8 Vintage Air surefite kit (designed for non AC cars) in the next couple of weeks. The system has been installed and has had water in it, but not had any freon in the system. The line kit and compressor are still NIB. I am upgrading to a Gen 4 unit, PM me for details if interested. This will be alot cheaper than purchasing a new unit.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 07, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Doing a complete factory air swap is a $2500 to $3000 parts adventure. Ricks Camaro's has most of what you will need, but you will have to find a take out system for some stuff, then try to figure out where it all goes. If you are doing a original restoration and are adding factory options to increase the value, Factory A/C is the way. If you just want A/C and the car is not a original type restoration, we need to set you up with a superior Vintage Air gen IV set up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 07, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

here is classic auto airs kit
pics and instructions are at this link.
Bought4less.com

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 07, 11:11 AM

If you like challanges you've picked a time consuming one. Heater only 68 camaros had a different: location for heater core hoses, firewall cutouts, vents, kick panels, louvers, head control, center dash, wire harness, vacuum lines, plastic ductwork, hoses, etc. I just removed the fact a/c system out of my 68 camaro, and it has been replaced with the Classic Auto Air system which allows you to use the original dash controls and vents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode