Electric Water Pump - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 07, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Electric Water Pump

I just received the August Chevy High Performance Mag today. In the magazine they stated a horsepower increase of +23 hp and +30 lb-ft of torque with a Meziere electric water pump. Does anyone have experience with the installation and wiring of the water pump on a 383 with the GM serpentine belt system and accessories. Is it essentially the same as a regular water pump? I have the stock 69 RS wiring harness.

Is there something I should know before I consider the $550.00 tab?

Bottom line is it worth the money(Horsepower), and does it really cool at idle speed in 95 degrees better than a belt driven pump?

Thank you for reading this.

Jeff

Last edited by Cruzn69r; Jun 13th, 07 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Misspelling of title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 07, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Electric Water Pump

An electric water pump will pump a fairly constant amount of water at every engine speed, and it will cool the engine very well at idle. It will work well until you consistently reach the higher power levels, then it will not be able to keep up.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 07, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

I am running that Meziere electric water pump on my Procharged 468. I have not had any issues with it not keeping up yet. I have this water pump for over a year and had no issues or trouble with it at all. My trouble is trying to get a bracket for some additional accessories I want to run.....

But as a water pump goes it works well.... Just an FYI, limited accessories if running a V-belt....

Founder MuscleSyndicate.com
Muscle Car Car Club
68 Camaro 468 - F1R Procharger - Converting to Procharged LS - in process now selling 468 BBC

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 07, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech

I don't know whose water pump they were using as a baseline... but most high performance water pumps today only take up a few hp at most at full tilt. The pump used in the test must have been really poor dynamically??

Here's a quote from one of the best experts in the business... the Stewart's site.

"There are significant differences between a stock or OEM water pump, and Stewart Components water pumps. Most stock or OEM pumps are built to meet standard performance requirements at relatively low RPM. Stewart pumps are designed and manufactured specifically for high performance applications.

Every pump is designed to exacting tolerances for reliable, long-term performance that meets the requirements for your application.

In addition, all Stewart high-flow water pumps are designed to deliver maximum flow with minimum power consumption. Stewart high-flow water pumps deliver up to 180 GPM (gallons per minute) of coolant flow (at 8,000 RPM), yet consume just 2.26 horsepower (at 4,000 RPM)!"

On top of that.. yes, the previous poster(s) was correct. Typically you get into issues with electric pumps when you start either towing or hauling your car up moderate grades for long periods of time.. and/or high speeds for very long and/or have high rear end ratios. The reason is simple. The more power required the more energy you have to have... and the more fuel you burn and the more heat you have to waste! So, 55 gpm pumps are lame by today's aftermarket output standards. Yes.. they do a great job at idle.. but at power demand cycles they do poorly. I have seen many a hotrod sitting on the side of 441North going to Pigeon Forge due to electric pumps. They just couldn't make it up the mountain even tho the grade wasn't that tricky.

On another front. Electric pump outputs are measured at a fixed wattage resistance or resistance to flow. Many applications have variable resistance to flow of the coolant and therefore will NOT come close to 55gpm! I have seen this myself in several applications. When the resistance of the system gets high.. the motor slows and reduces the output. In mechanical systems, the newer centrifugal type pumps (close tolerance types) are very good at keeping their output constant (because they are directly driven off the motor...therefore have all kinds of power at hand) and flow superbly under those conditions. Simple changes to the coolant jacket such as just switching to aluminum heads (some manufacturers reduce the size of the water jacket passages to keep heat in the heads) will significantly reduce flow on the electric pump side.

Now.. after saying all this.. if you live in a fairly flat area.. and don't tow.. and/or have real high rear end ratios I would say go for it. But, adding a $68 Stewart Stage I will do the same thing power wise and flow alot better! But, I do like the look of the electric setups!... .I will admit.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 07, 05:23 PM
Team Member
John

There's no free lunch. An electric water pump requires engine power to drive the now-heavily-loaded alternator (at all times), and the double energy conversion is VERY inefficient when you use mechanical energy (the engine) to provide electrical energy from the alternator, then convert the electrical energy back into mechanical energy by driving the water pump with an electric motor. The net benefit is ZERO (except for the "bling" factor on cruise night), and the electric pumps don't provide adequate flow to handle heavy loads on the cooling system under variable driving conditions. The stock SB water pump flows 58GPH, and the stock BB water pump flows 83GPH; the electrics don't come close to that. Electric pumps (and electric fans) were designed for cool-down in the staging lanes.

JohnZ
CRG
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 07, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

That may be true about the alternator draw to run the electric water pump, but only if you are runnig a very low amp alternator. Anyone running any alternator other than a 6cyl with no a.c. is not going to see a difference. I installed an electric fan that puts out 3985cfm and I could definately feel the difference in power. The car runs cooler and with my 250amp alternator it doesn't even phase the alternator. You have to remember that the alternator is not working at full output all the time. Only when every accessory is on is the alternator working that hard to where he may experience a HP drain and with a decent alternator that is a thing of the past.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 07, 06:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I read that this morning. 30 HP from a water pump? I find that hard to believe.

The LT1 vette guys swear by them tho. I personally think it's just an attemt to keep a failing water pump from leaking in the optispark and trashing it.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 07, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
That may be true about the alternator draw to run the electric water pump, but only if you are runnig a very low amp alternator.
It takes as much power to generate 40 amps from a 250 amp alternator as it does from a 60 amp alternator, there is no free lunch. A typical alternator operates at about 55% efficiency, and the water pump motor is probably 75% efficient at best, leaving you with an overall system efficiency of slightly over 40%. This means that you would have to power the alternator with about 2.5 times the power you get out of the water pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode