Ive Searched Every where.. - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 07, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Ive Searched Every where..

I have a problem that I cannot Figure out. I am a Mechanic, I do know what I am doing. I just need some help. Alright, 1988 camaro 305 with a 350 Engine. (305 computer & Injecotors) The Coolant Fan Will Not kick on Ever. I replaced the Relay on the firewall Awhile ago (before the fan died) The old one was clicking on and off all the time no matter what the temp. was. The motor and everything on it is 45,000 miles old.

I have a 150* thermostat. So Driving down the road is not a Problem at all it stays Under 150, Until I get into traffic and/or stop and sit. Ive hot wired the fan, so the Fan it self is good. Fuses are Good.

I am Replacing the ECM as well as the injectors for a 350. In my research I found that it may be the ecm, is that true? I dont know where to look.

The Relay on the Fire wall is getting power.

The Switch/Sending unit on the manifold has power but I canot get a ground. is the Ground Controlled by the ecm?

Thanks a Bunch, Nick Hall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 07, 09:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: Ive Searched Every where..

Nick...

Yes, The ECM will set the ground for the fans to kick on. A buddy just ran into the veery same problem on his Pontiac. Everything tested good so concluded that it was the ECM. Changed it and the fan worked as it should.

Kev
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 07, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

Remember, that GEN F-body has minor cooling problems anyway due to inadequate flow of air thru the radiator. An aftermarket 4 core rad and a PUSH fan vice pull fan works better....IMHO

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 07, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The fan(s) should come on when DEF or A/C is selected. Fan relay controlled by the ECM.

If dual fans, one is controlled by the heat sensor/switch in the engine block/manifold. It closes at some 225*F-235*F, and fan comes on. The other fan is controlled by ECM getting input from a two-wire coolant sensor. The ECM relay has battery on one side of the coil and the ECM has the return.

When no fan needed, the ECM has a high voltage. Temp satisfied, ECM places a low, 0.5 volts and this action energizes the relay, fan on. Relay has a large gauge wire for fan power to one contact, and the other to the fan motor. Ground is supplied at the fan plug.

Or, for ther engine fan, the engine has a temp switch and ground is through the body threads to engine, closes when temp is reached, 230*F(?), energizes the relay, fan on.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 07, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Like I said, I am replacing the ECM, I have the new one sitting next to, I am waiting for the prom which I'm getting from a Friend who makes Custom Chips. I will Update this thread when the Chip gets here and the ECM is in. I am Guessing Tuesday.

If that doesnt Work, I will buy a new Temp. Unit.

Thanks A Bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode