23 inch Rad w/ SBC, need a deep Shroud - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bri

23 inch Rad w/ SBC, need a deep Shroud

Hello all,

Can anyone recomend a shroud for a sbc with a 23 inch 4 core rad ? I have the BB shroud from ricks and even with a 2 inch spacer i can't get the fan in the shroud ( its about 2 inches away from shroud ). Ricks only sells 1 type for a BB ( 23 inch rad ) 69 camaro. has anyone tried getting a BB shroud for a 23 rad from a 68 and installing it on a 69 ? ( would this work http://www.rickscamaros.com/cgi-loca...tore.cfg+EP-35 ).

I have a zz4 in there now and it runs hot. 200 highway, 210 the norm, 240 in traffic. Not good. I am running 10 degree advance, everything else is stock.

I would like to keep it stock looking ( so no alum shrouds, but I am ok with putting a non-69 shroud in there to keep her cool ). Thanks very much for the help.

brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 04:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: 23 inch Rad w/ SBC, need a deep Shroud

You can try a 68 shroud, small block w/ a/c.
It will fit the 23" radiator.
It is 1" longer than a standard 69 SBC shroud, considerably longer than the BB shroud.

Also I'd wonder a lil about it running hot. Since I trashed my good rad a couple weeks ago, I put the original 2 row back in temporaily without a shroud. My 383 runs at 190 that way, on a 180 thermostat. Maybe more timing? 10 is not much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bri

Re: 23 inch Rad w/ SBC, need a deep Shroud

Thanks for your reply, so if i understand you correctly, a 68 BB a/c shroud should get me close ? I will get one of these.

Yeah this engine runs very warm. I put the temp guage right near the water pump so i getting the temp at the 'worst case scenario', right before it heads to the rad. so i could understand that it would be a little higher than normal placement of the temp guage. It isn't long after i start the enginge that the valve covers are very hot.

I wonder about the timing too. Even when warm the engine sputters when i stomp on the gas. Its perfect at higher RPMs but a goat if i am trying to accelerate from idle ( of about 800 rpm ).

From posts on this site i read that 10 degrees at idle should be right. Do you think otherwise ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode