1997 Camaro overheating - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 07, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

1997 Camaro overheating

I have a 1997 Camaro 6cyl 3.8L. It has been having an issue with overheating. It's overheating at random times. When you're cruising about 70 on the interstate. The guage barely moves up from cold, when I think it should be running at a normal temp. In stop and go traffic especially, there is a problem with it overheating. The guage seems to go way up almost to the red and then the thermostat seems to kick in and it cools down. It does its own sort of dance, jumping from cold to hot. We keep it full of fluid. My husband has replaced the thermostat. What else should he change? Water pump? Radiator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 07, 08:25 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: 1997 Camaro overheating

Your car is having air flow problems when it is moving solw or standing still. That indicates the electric fans are not working properly or at least are not pulling enough air through the core. Since air gets through the core when the car is moving at higher speeds there is no problem with something blocking the core. The thermostat controls when the fluid flows through the system. There is another temp sensor that turns the fan on and off. Look at the fan and the sensor to solve your problem. Try turning on the AC (the cooling fan runs when the AC is on) and see if the temp runs more stable. How long have you owned the car? Is this something that just started happening? They do tend to let the temp build before the fans come on.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 07, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech

what kind of temps are we talking here? in the 80's, GM started making their engines run much hotter, and cars with electric fans tend to have a big temp range between when the fans kick on and when they kick off again- a 30 degree temp swing seems plausible given the on/off temps of the oem fan switches.
when going down the road, the radiator will keep the temp down in the 190 range where the t stat opens, but around town, the fans won't kick on until 235 or higher, and off at 210-215.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 07, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Is there 1 or 2 fans?

The main fan should turn on around 220. The second, if there is one, won't turn on until 235 or so.

Both fans should ALWAYS run if the A/C is on.

I recently fixed a problem with identical symptoms on the 93 vette I just bought, the radiator was completely plugged with road crud, no airflow possible at all. Rem,oving and cleaning it fixed it right up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 07, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I just called the husband as I'm not sure whats under the hood. He says there are two fans.

The temp does run somewhat slightly more stable with the A/C on, yes.

It's funny because when it's in the stop and go traffic, It may/can get all the way up to the red (solid) area. But when its on the interstate and the temp doesn't go up at all? Not even to slightly warm?

I understand what novaderrik is saying about the thermostat waiting until higher to open, because my husband tells me to wait when I freak out that the temp gets up there on the scale, Inevetibly it does go back down.

I's my car and I've had it since 1999. This problem has been going on for a while, but its been parked several months as I reached 100,000 miles and thought I should get a new vehicle.

Thanks for your suggestions. I do appreciate them and anymore information would be great. I will take this home and let him know your suggestions.

Last edited by karpat2006; Jun 20th, 07 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Apparantly I can't spell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode