AC Conversion to 134a - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 07, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Question AC Conversion to 134a

Currently, I have refrigerant 134 in my 67. I have owned the car for 2 years and can only assume that the proper upgrades were made to allow it to handle 134. Everything appears original/OEM replacement and looks new. It blows cool but nowhere near cold. I was told to replace the POA valve but also read that I could adjust it with a turn of the screwdriver. The whole front end from the firewall forward had been disassembled to powder coat it and install a new engine and most parts are new. I read that if if you ever tore down everything, you should replace the dryer. I am not even sure if the current dryer was made for 134 in the first place. Should I replace the POA valve and dryer? Thanks, Hot in VA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 07, 10:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: AC Conversion to 134a

Yes, the Dryer should be a 134 type to funtion best.
Hopefully the conversion was done correctly and the system will be fine if a few things are fine-tuned.
There is a very good chance that the POA valve, if not replaced, was never adjusted for the 134 conversion. Mainly because lots of info in print says 'they can't be adjusted' ... That is incorrect.
First - I would replace the dryer if it not clearly marked for 134 use.
Next - I would adjust the POA as follows;
1st - hook up the gauges and recheck low side pressure, it should be below 29~27 PSI. If the pressure is high, the valve probably needs adjusted (or the compressor is going bad - but we'll save that for later ... )
2nd - turn the adjustment screw out ( CCW ) @1/4~1/2 turn and recheck pressures, hopefully they will now be down where they should be.
3rd - recheck the internal outlet temps - they should be lower and you'll now be

Hope this helps;
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 07, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Re: AC Conversion to 134a

Thanks, John! That is VERY helpful. I will get a shop to try this. The compressor is a brand new factory-looking one from Year One. I just found out that the dryer is for 134 and is brand new. And I assume the adjustment screw is a simple thing to find on the POA. Hope it gets cold now!! Thanks again! DeAngelo

Last edited by Deangelo66; Jun 21st, 07 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode