Best radiator - seriously - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 07, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Best radiator - seriously

I am looking for the best cooling set up possible to put in my '67 to cool the 490hp - 408" SBC. The car will be using for cruising, so cooling is a must! Thanks in advance for you advice.

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 07, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech
Rico

Re: Best radiator - seriously

I have a 67 with a 406 Alum head motor. I use the griffen race rad. believe its 27'1/2 in. Rated @ 450 hp. My car runs @ 185 all day long
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 07, 08:34 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

There is no one "best", you can cool the beast with stock or stock style brass and copper if you want or you can go alum. There are many many to choose from. It's all about having a complete system that works. You need to decide if you are playing off the stock or the state of the art, then get the right parts to achieve it. You also need to keep in mind costs if you are on a budget...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 07, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

I really did mean "seriously." I have NO cooling budget. Overheating a motor on a long slow cruise is not something I want to deal with. I want the best cooling, best looking SYSTEM available.

Is Be Cool with 3420+cfm cooling (dual) fans the way to go? Or is 2780 sufficient? Or 2300? I want to provide maximum cooling without wasting charging power or $$. However, I am a little ignorant on what sort of charging system is going to be required to run those high CFM fans.

Thanks again!

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 07, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech

How much power do you produce just cruising around? 30 hp? 40? The secret to good cooling is flow, make sure you drive the water pump fast enough and use a good fan. I run a stock radiator, stock water pump, high flow thermostat and a Caddy clutch fan on my car and it cools just fine.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 07, 06:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I don't know about best... but I like the summit direct fit radiator a lot. It's a 21" 2 row alluminum, that bolts right in.

I recently had occaision to need to remove it and put the stock 2 row brass rad back in without the shroud for a week or 2. It ran at 195 degrees or so, never hit 200.

When I put the Summit rad AND the shroud back in, it runs at 175.

Details are: well tuned 400hp 383, wiand alluminum short pump, Mr Gasket / richardson hi-flow 180 degree thermostat, custom alluminum full shroud (same dimensions as stock) Derale 17" flex fan, spaced so it is half into the shroud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 07, 07:53 AM

STRICK, I just purchased a 69 Camaro with a 565 big block with a pro charger. This motor makes 1128 hp. The car had a standard alumium radiator with a single fan. The car ran hot in city driving! That is the last worry I wanted. So I purchased a polished Be Cool radiator with a dual fan setup. I put a 180 degree thermostat in the car and was recommended by Be Cool to put 3 small holes around the outer edge so it could contunuely flow. The car now runs between 180-200 degrees.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 07, 08:09 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I consider the route I went serious, stock small block radiator re-cored with a Modine core, stock water pump, 6 blade clutch fan and a high quality 180 deg t-stat... Cools my bored and stroked 350 making a bit more than 400 ftlbs of torque under any condition...

Sounds like you are looking for something with bling and more modern and aftermarket. Just keep in mind throwing money at it won't necessarly make it better, everything has to work together... Take a look at the work this guy does, http://www.lateral-g.net/bio/stielow/ then look into some of the cars he's built for some very high end cooling systems that work...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 07, 09:25 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Ron Davis Rad with dual Spal fans, Stewart WP.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 Holley Terminator EFI with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt (3.73), Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS AFX Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff.

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 07, 10:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

I run the Flex-a-Lite Black Magic Extreme in my car. (FLX-180). The Extreme is the best one they make IMHO. It is a fan & shroud assembly. It is a single fan and flows 3300 CFM. It only draws 18 Amps. As far as aluminum vs a big beastly 4 row/4 core copper & brass radiator that is a matter of opinion. I like both!! I had a monster Heavy Duty 4 core copper & brass on my old Camaro which had a 396 BBC in it. Internals were 12.5:1's, .292 duration with .544 regular hydraulic lift cam. The car had cast iron heads. I drove it in rush hour traffic and it would not overheat even in hot summer weather. It ran cool all day every day.

The car I own now has a 350 Mouse, 10 or 10.5:1's with .292 duration and .524 lift. I know nothing else about it internally since it was in the car when I bought it. It has Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads. The old copper & brass radiator was leaking & the fan set up was a wimpy single electric fan set up on a toggle switch out of some mid 1980's Z28 or G20 Chevy Van. I went with a direct fit aluminum radiator from www.drclassic.com and I bought the beastly copper & brass radiator just in case the aluminum did not fare well. I put a 160 T-stat in it and set the thermostatic control which is included in the FLX-180 set up to 195 degrees just to heat the block & heads up. It never goes over 195 and I love it. It's not the prettiest system with the universal mounting brackets but it works great!! The whole dual fan set up is overrated IMHO. Why would I want to spend $500 for dual fans that flow 2700 CFM or 3400 CFM and draw 50-60 amps when I can buy one huge low profile electric fan that will work even with a big block, pay only $260 with tax, flow 3300 CFM and draw 18 Amps? Aluminum radiators are over rated as well. Aluminum is easier to recycle and therefor it is being used more today by new auto manufacturers.

Copper & brass work just fine and here is the proof from one of the most respected sources around http://www.usradiator.com/testing.htm

Here is another interesting article on copper & brass http://www.copper.org/environment/tr...radiators.html

And you tech guys will like this one as well http://www.copper.org/applications/a...s/no_flux.html

It's all a matter of opinion. Like I said, I like both!!

The SSG&H Bottom Line: Like Jim & others have said. It does not have to look pretty to work well. Many guys like the Lincoln Mark VIII fans but those things draw huge amperage and need a special controller to run them. Thanks but no thanks. Aluminum vs copper & brass? The choice is ultimately yours. It's like blondes vs brunettes...........

Good Luck!!

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 07, 10:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Agree with south side, except worthy to note that I like pretty too.

The direct fit radiator and custom alluminum shroud, after I took the polishing wheel to them, are PLENTY PRETTY.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 07, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Thanks for all the responses. I read them all very closely and I really appreciate. So, it does sound like the Be Cool is more about corporate profit versus cooling my camaro. The Summit radiator I have looked closely at also. Jim - where did you get the aluminum shroud.

Strick
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 07, 11:35 AM

As Dennis, Jim and others have said, the fan, water pump and radiator setup should be based on horsepower, use of the vehicle and of course owner preference. In the wife's Camaro and my 69 Corvette, I used aluminum radiator and dual Spal fan setups from Portell's Radiator Shop in Desoto, Missouri. Both systems were direct bolt in units. He fabricates a flat aluminum shroud and mounts the fans to it. You pull it out of the box in one piece, bolt it in, wire up the relays, install the sending unit in the manifold or head and away you go. Niether of our cars ever get past 195 even in traffic in the summer in Missouri when it is 98 degress and 95% humidity. Both of them have Weiand Action Plus aluminum water pumps. There are alot of choices out there. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 07, 11:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

http://www.mahaffeymotorsports.com/FanShrouds.htm

It was well over $200, but absolutely worth it. Wade is an artist withut a doubt, He does these mostly for electric fans, but I sent him my stock shroud and had him duplicate it in alluminum.

post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 07, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

O.K. Summit products looks like may be a good choice. Direct fit Large radiator (~$300) SUM-380456 , a dual electric fan and aluminum shroud set up (~$200) SUM-381010 , therostatic control unit and wiring (~$50) SUM-890016. This will wiind up 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of the Be Cool unit and still look good.

I will go with a Weiand short pump (~$125) WND-9208P, and Mr G. 180' thermostat (engine builder said to use 185') (~$15) MRG-4364.
This is my weekend project, as the engine is on a stand and the cylinder is still in the car.

Once the car is on the road I will post back. If I am forgetting something, PLEASE chime in!

Thanks again, and by late July I will stop asking so many questions, but until the car is done - Sorry!

Strick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode