69 to CCOT A/C System? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 07, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

69 to CCOT A/C System?

I just installed all new A/C components in my 69 with the POA update from Oldair. The thing will freeze you out but there's one thing I don't like. The system shuts off the compressor at 24 psi (low side) and back on at 40. What happens is that the system gets cold very fast then warms up until the psi kicks the compressor back on then so on and so on. It doesn't keep the cabin temp constant at all...cold and cool over and over. I have just about realized this must be the way these older systems work so now I would like to see if it's possible to change it out to a CCOT system like the newer cars have. Has anyone done this? I think the only thing that might pose a problem would be where/how to install a orifice tube and maybe an accumulator, if the present evaporator will work in this system...and I can't readily see why it wouldn't. Anyone have any comments on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 07, 04:12 PM
Team Member

Re: 69 to CCOT A/C System?

I would recommend changing the poa upgrade kit for an original style POA valve adjusted for 134a. I have a CCOT system from a 2nd gen in my '69 and have not been able to get it to perform properly.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 07, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
bill

if it is constantly kicking off at 24 psi. you dont have enough freon in there.add like half pound. if it is r134 raise idle to 1500-1800 should be steady around 28-30 psi.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It won't be steady with the limit switch on the POA update constantly regulating the compressor according to the low side pressure. I think I may try a lower range on the limit switch and rely on the thermal switch on the evaporator cover to shut the compressor off at 32 degrees and see how that works out first.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereitis67 View Post
if it is constantly kicking off at 24 psi. you dont have enough freon in there.add like half pound. if it is r134 raise idle to 1500-1800 should be steady around 28-30 psi.
Before I try what I mentioned, are you saying beyond a doubt, that the low side should stay fairly constant between say 4 or 5 PSI no matter what the compressor speed/air flow over the condensor/etc. is? My system is pretty constant at idle (with a good flow fan in front) but as the RPM increases, the low side gets lowerer/colder. I have almost 3.7 pounds of freon in with gauge readings of 32/238 @ 1K RPMs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode