Circulation Woes - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 07, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Circulation Woes

My question is this; I have a smallblock chevy,mild build,aluminum waterpump (short), it has a 160 degree thermostat in it. I have only about 225 miles on a total restoration, it has been running fine until this weekend,and temp gauge has been staying at or below 175. Today gauge crept into the lower 200 degree range, when I noticed it I shut it down. I drained it, took out the thermostat and checked it for proper opening temp., and it checked out ok.(boiled it to 160 degrees and it opened and closed fine) Re-installed and I have the same thing happening. Both the upper and lower radiator hose's are rock hard,and when i crack the cap open it sprays out everywhere. I opened the heat/defrost and still didn't help the circulation.What should I look for next?Do I dare guess a faulty temp gauge and let it run longer? Don't want to cook engine unless it's putting the smackdown on some mustang!! Thanks, smallblockmike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 07, 12:13 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Circulation Woes

It's not the stat once the stat rated temp is reached the stat will not close. A 180 deg would be better unless you cooling system is strong enought to cool the mill down below 160 and that wouldn't be wise for wear and performance.

When does the temp climb? Just sitting idling or on the road at some speed? Are you installing teh stat the right direction? Do you have a fan shroud and what kind of fan? What is your timing set at? We need more info before really advising.

Typically if it heats up idling, it's air flow through the core and there is either a fan problem or something blocking the core.

Oh and don't hit the panic button until the temp starts rising above 220. You may not want it that hot but it shouldn't damage anything at 220...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 07, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Yes it's sitting in the garage when this happened. I have the t-stat installed in correct direction. I have a stock fan shroud with a aluminum aftermarket fan,with spacer to bring it level with shroud opening. My goal was to tweak on the timing today but was worried when temp climed over the 200 mark....shut it down. Do you think it would help to drain it down a little,take t-stat out and fill engine block with anti-freeze and see if it doesn't get as hot so fast? Worried I may damage heads or internals. smallblockmike

Last edited by smallblockmike; Jun 24th, 07 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 07, 12:46 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

What you describe is typical of a car sitting idling in a garage with no circulation... Ever see a dyno run or a new engine being broke in? They always put a fan in front of the radiator and blow air into it.

You may still have a cooling system problem and that is air flow through the core when idling. The fan should be half in and half out of the shroud at minimum. Take your car out and drive it, 200 won't hurt anything. See how hot it gets when the car is moving, see also at a stop light.

Water will actually cool (dissapates heat) better than anti-freeze. Run a 50/50 mix and you will get all the lubrication protection needed from the anti-freeze.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 01:42 PM
Team Member
John

What "aluminum aftermarket fan" do you have? Flex-fan? Nothing will move more air at idle than the stock 5- or 7-blade fan/clutch and shroud.

JohnZ
CRG
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Yea I have a Flex fan from Jegs.... I did get the courage to fire it up again after it cooled down,added more coolant,set the timing to around 9/10 degrees initial timing and it runs perfect.Tweaked on the Thunder series Edelbrock and all seems well in smallblock country!! Took it out and ran it for about 20 miles and it (temp) leveled out at 180 degrees. It is also very hot today so was pleased with results.
Very crisp throttle response also from the new carb. I had a 600 cfm edelbrock and switched it to their new thunder series 650 cfm and now that I've figured out the adjustable valve secondaries I'm glad I went with the thunder series. Thanks for all your input guys! Smallblockmike
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 07, 05:16 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

smallblockmike,
Can you tell a big difference between the Edelbrock 600 and the 650cfm? I have thae Edelbrock 600 and was thinking of going with either the 650 or the 800. Not sure yet. I have the Edelbrock Performer Rpm package and the Edelbrock tech told me that when they got the 435hp with that package, they didn't have the 800cfm yet. They think they could have got more, but I don't know. 800 sounds like an awful lot. How do you like the AVS? Does it allow you to have the secondaries open sooner?

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 07, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Charlie;I first put a 750 edelbrock on my built 327 and feel it was over carbed.Then went with a rebuilt 600 Performer series and wasn't pleased with the tune-ability of it. Even bought their carb kit and played around with rods and springs and still wasn't happy with the performance. Sprung for a new Thunder series 650 and right out of the box it was awesome.I asked on the forum here if anybody new first hand how the AVS system adjusted and didn't get any response. I called the tech line and talked with them and they walked me through it.Very simple. You can adjust the secondaries to open at any position in the throttle you want..very slick. Worth the extra bucks and you get the 650 cfm to boot. I'm guessing (per my engine builder NAPA) that i'm at about 375-400 hp (motor). I think 800cfm is alot of carb for a sbc with moderate hp. Smallblockmike
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 05:30 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

The tech at Edelbrock told me when they put together their Performer RPM package they got 435hp with a 650 Thunder Series, but they didn't make the 800 yet. He said they got more with the 800 and the test engine was a 350SBC. I thought a 800 was a lot also, but he said with the intakes being as well designed as they are that an 800 would work nicely if the car is going to see some strip time. If not, then stick to the 650. I dont have much interest in the strip, but for those who do they may want to think about the 800. Just a thought.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode