should i be concerned??? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 07, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Question should i be concerned???

I have 327 30over 180tstat - before replacing radiator i was running around 220f avg - i switched to an aluminum radiator running distilled water and water wetter and now am avging 175f - should i replace my tstat with 160 cause otherwise im concerned that it may not be opening?

Am i on base here???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 07, 05:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: should i be concerned???

Nope.

You're car is cooling perfectly. The stat may open a lil early, or your gauge may be a touch off. She's getting all the cooling she needs.

I get about the same readings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Todd,
What are you going to do in the winter? Distilled water and water wetter are not going to offer you any anti freeze properties what so ever not to mention that if you run straight water you are going to have rust forming where ever the water only goes. That is another benefit of coolant. It has rust inhibitors in it. If you have done something to deter this, please let me know because I would like my car to run that cool also.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

heated garage and the water wetter takes care of all the chemical properties needed for lubrication and anti-corrosion both rust (block/waterpump) and scale(aluminum rad)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I have been running water wetter for a long time in both my car and my bike and I haven't seen anything about rust inhibitors.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Here's some reading for you:

http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/17.pdf

"WaterWetter®

WaterWetter® is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30ºF. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze systems. Compatible with all antifreezes, including the latest long-life variations. "
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I was reading what Redline says about their Water Wetter and they say that Water Wetter should never be used with just water. Some antifreeze is necessary. They say that even in the summertime the a/c can blow freezing air thru the heater and cause freezing of the heater core unless at least 20% antifreeze is used.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Read their tech info on Water Wetter. It says exactly what I just said under the "USE" heading.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Straight water and Water Wetter only is for on track use only. Not street driven cars. Even if you think you have a "race engine", that combo is for the track only.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

why are you fighting me on this - we are obviously not in the same boat

I don't have a/c - I do have a heated garage (never gets below 45f)

statements are as follows from the white sheet i posted

"If the vehicle will see freezing temperatures, an antifreeze must be used."
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

the statements you are making are out of context - if you read the entire "use section" statement your interprtaion only applys if using tap water - as stated above i am using distilled
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Ok.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode