What is this milky fluid in my radiator - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 07, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

What is this milky fluid in my radiator

I just purchased a 69 with a 383 small block, manual transmission i got it home and when i looked in the radiator i freaked out.I drained a little out today in a glass mason jar it looked just like milk, white and thick .My first thought was stop leak. I drained and flushed the most of it out and filled with tap water thinking where ever it was leaking it would show up.The engine oil looks good.I took a sample of milky fluid to my local radiator shop he said he was sure it was anti-corosion/lubricant i checked it and it would not float any balls on my anti freezer tester so i believe and also praying that i do not have a problem.Have you ever heard of anybody running this.The guy that had the 69 came from a family of drag racers.Maybe racers run this stuff.What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Re: What is this milky fluid in my radiator

The only time I have ever seen a milky substance in the antifreeze is when a head gasket blows and you get oil and antifreeze mixing. Take a compression check of all cylinders. I bet you'll see 1 or 2 cylinders that are low. Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 05:36 AM
Senior Tech

Soluble oil from products like Bar's Leaks will look milky in your radiator.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 09:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Talking Re: What is this milky fluid in my radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
Soluble oil from products like Bar's Leaks will look milky in your radiator.
Ditto. ESP if theres not enuff water in with it.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

If the bars leak or other like product is not it your not going to like my possibilty.

There are oil passages that are near water jackets and if the block is cracked to one oil will get to the water. Since the oil pressure is higher than the water pressure water may never get to the oil. Been a very long time since I have seen a problem like this.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

If it's not a cracked head it may just be a blown head gasket. That's why I suggested you take a compression test. If there is a problem in that area you will see it with the test.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 05:07 PM

Ten-four on that 67CamaroRS/SS simply having the car jacked up (rear higher) blew out and killed my engine back in the early 70's pressure on head gasket and my radiator was all muddied up with goo--foamy like a milkshake. Big lesson.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 09:56 PM

water pump lube and anti rust conditioner is white and looks like milk wont hurt a thing if you drained the water and it went away I would not worry about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode