Electric fan pushing and clutch fan - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Cool Electric fan pushing and clutch fan

I have a 69 big block with a 3 core radiator , clutch fan and a electric fan pushing, the motor has less than 100 miles on it but it wants to run at 205-210 degrees on 90 degree days i'm running a 160 degree thermostat is the electric fan fighting against the clutch fan is it a good idea to run both ? any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Re: Electric fan pushing and clutch fan

First I would start by removing one of the fans. You only one fan. Second, switch to a 180 degree thermostat. That will allow a more even system. I had a 160 in my small block with an electric fan and the car always ran above 200. i switched to a 180 and now the car stays at 180-190. On the highway and cruising. Just a thought.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I'll try that

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 08:08 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

jr - the electric pusher fan may be blocking the core and restricting air flow through the core. this really becomes an issue when driving since the natural flow of air is normally greater then anything a fan can generate...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

I ran without a electric before but if I had to sit in stopped traffic for any length of time the temperture would get in to the 250 range so I added a electric fan that I manualy turned on and that helped With the new motor I installed a sensor that is adjustable and i'm not sure it has helped.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 08:28 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I removed my clutch fan and installed an electric fan. I installed a 180 thermostat and now the car stays between 180-190, even idling. My electric fan is a 16" and pulls 3985cfm.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 08:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

With electric a puller is the only way to go. I have no problems with a clutch fan cooling my stroker engine using a stock water pump and a re-cored stock tank radiator.

jr - when you had 250 idle temps you were not getting enough flow through the core. You also may have had improper timing or a mechanical issue with your engine. If your radiator, water pump and t-stat are in good condition, you have a bit of idle advance say 10-12 degs and the fan is in the shroud properly and if you have a fan clutch it is operating correct you won't have your previous problems.

Electric fans work but are not necessary to cool an engine. They came about because of space or actually lack of space in modern cars...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone a lot of good advise i'll be trying.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 10:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

I too had this problem (briefly) on my '55. Either remove the front fan and install a shroud for the clutch fan, or remove the clutch fan and us the pusher as a puller (most will reverse with a wiring change and flopping the blades), but still use a shroud. I normally use a 180 thermostat, but the 160 is O.K. for now.

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Last night I reset the pusher to come on at 190 degrees and kept the clutch fan and shroud in place it got to 205- 210 while sitting in the driveway once i srarted driving it went down to 190-195 and stayed there but because of rain I was only able to drive for about 15 min. I still don't like it over 200 at idle.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 09:35 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

You only need one fan. Having a fan in front of the rad. is impeding air flow. Move the electric around to the other side of the rad. and switch the wires so it pulls air instead of pushes it, install a 180 thermostat, make the fan come on at 185 and go off at 170 and all should be good. You also need to make sure the fan moves enough air. If you have a/c then thats going to make a difference.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
You only need one fan. Having a fan in front of the rad. is impeding air flow. Move the electric around to the other side of the rad. and switch the wires so it pulls air instead of pushes it, install a 180 thermostat, make the fan come on at 185 and go off at 170 and all should be good. You also need to make sure the fan moves enough air. If you have a/c then thats going to make a difference.
Okay... with all due respect (I am trying my more soooooothing, touchy-feelie approach since DJD reprimanded me for my last few posts as coming off "just because I said so" approach... and I just am tying to be pithy really!) So, here goes!

Whether the fan is in front or rear.. there is NO appreciable difference in the blockage unless the air has no where to flow around the fan. This is why a shrouded fan in front would indeed block air. So, if you put a standard 16" pusher on front, it's not going to have an appreciable affect on the incoming air so to speak different from that from being mounted on the rear. I have run fans for years without problems on the 55-57 series just like that and have pushed upward of way over three digit cruising without a fuss? And, recent OEMs have been putting augmentor fans on the front of their radiators to improve "stoplight" or "idle zone" efficiencies.

Here is a picture...

and by the way... this is the ONLY fan I have on a 383/450hp engine with air in Atlanta... and works great!

Now... does a "puller" work better? Yes in efficiency only. BECAUSE the air flow coming into the "puller" fan is unfettered air so to speak, and the air coming thru a "pusher" is disturbed and eddy currents can redirect some of the air outside the working footprint of the fan.

That's my story and I'm stick'in to it!

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

Last edited by HOTRODSRJ; Jun 28th, 07 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spellering?
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I have NEVER seen a factory installed fan mounted on the front of a radiator. If you can show me one then I would stand corrected, but until then NEVER. ;(

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 02:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Talking Re: Electric fan pushing and clutch fan

Quote:
I have NEVER seen a factory installed fan mounted on the front of a radiator. If you can show me one then I would stand corrected, but until then NEVER. ;(
Charlie, on American or Imports? My 90 Iroc-Z has twin fans on the front....

Eclipse have them on the front.

My Dakota w/5/9L is in the front on the side for the Trans AND in the back for the Rad...

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 02:18 PM
Senior Tech

Talking Re: Electric fan pushing and clutch fan

Quote:
Apparently you have a sheltered life... But, I do study this stuff for a living..so I expect there to be these moments.

There are a lot of applications now doing this both foreign and domestic. And, we all know the Germans to be engineering fanatics.... well... take a peak at the new BMW X5s for example. Peak thru the front valence and see the huge "pusher" fan inside. Or go here for a preview!

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1268...38884788smBuyy

Enjoy.

It's not nice to mess with Dr. Cooling?

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode