327 Running Hot! - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question 327 Running Hot!

Hey guys I posted about this a month ago and with your suggestions I have done the following: new high volume water pump, high flow 180 thermostat, moved temp. sending unit to the top of intake, fan correct inside of shroud, fan is stock type looking but heavy duty aftermarket 18" with aluminum blades, correct coolant concoction with water wetter added, new radiator cap, replaced new green line stewart warner gauge and sending unit with new set-------Still according to the gauge its running at 215 - 225. Then I bought an ir (raytec) temp. tool and everywhere I check, thermostat housing, radiator, hose out of thermostat, etc. I don't get a reading over 185! Then I drained out about a quart of coolant and replaced it with a quart of water to dilute it some (it was 50/50) and left the top of the radiator off so I could check for bubbles and watch the water in the radiator so I could see the water ripping through when the thermostat opened but the water never started ripping through. It just slowy, very slowly moves when the water warms but my gauge is showing the temp at 215-225, should'nt the water be ripping through if that was the temp. because my thermostat would be fully opened at that point? But even more screwy is when I put the lazer in the hot water of the radiator it only measures like 150! Is it possible I have a plugged radiator because the water is not ripping through it and another bad gauge also? Sorry I was long winded but I think I've given enough detail for someone to help out. Thanks.

68 convertible 327 Ralley Green, White top, Deluxe Ivory interior, powerglide with white bumblebee stripe

Last edited by bdzee; Jun 27th, 07 at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 07:22 PM

Re: 327 Running Hot!

i was working on a range rover the other day with the exact problem i bought 3 temp senders for the truck the temp in the truck was 245 the rayteck said 205 on the thermostate housing. the thermostate was 195. the truck didn't seem overly hot not boiling over. i bought a sender from dealer problem over. from your descripsion you gauge is or sender is not correct. the flow of coolant threw capmay be slow depending on still or flow of radiator. good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for your reply Anthony, I was thinking that but it is the 2nd one I bought and it is reading the same as the first one. Maybe I'll take it out and test it in boiling water. If it is off the 25 degrees or so I think it is then I'll make sure and let every one know. These are the new green line electric gauges Stewart Warner just came out with. They are repro's of the old 60 & 70 style.

68 convertible 327 Ralley Green, White top, Deluxe Ivory interior, powerglide with white bumblebee stripe

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

I had a similar problem with the ole 327. She ran at 210 when I got er. I did a few of the things you did. Not much of a change. Then I installed a new radiator and problem solved. 185 deg.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 09:17 PM

if the water isn't flowing properly it is most likely a plugged up radiator. check it for build up or take it to a shop and have them check it for you.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 10:19 AM

yup, radiator is plug or at least the volume running through it is being restricted.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 10:47 AM

Are you running stock pulleys?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes, running stock pulleys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode