Fan Shroud??? Yes or No? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 07, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Fan Shroud??? Yes or No?

I have a 350sbc and when I replaced the mechanical fan with an electric one, I was told that I did not need a shroud. I am not experiencing any overheating issues. In fact, the car runs between 180 and 190 all day long. I am just wondering if I would benefit with a shroud? As always, I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 07, 11:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Re: Fan Shroud??? Yes or No?

i have a 350 also with an eletric fan. no shroud. on a hot day (90*) sitting in a drive thru for 20 minutes in never goes over 185*
i was worried that it would, but so far so good.

Don't stop now!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 camaro driver
383 10:1
Horsepower:
515 @ 5,500 rpm
Torque:
499 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 07, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Cool. The guys at Summit said that you don't really need a shroud with an electric as the housing assembly acts as a shroud. I just thought I may benefit from adding one, but I don't think I am going to the trouble. Thanks.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 07, 01:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

if it's cool, it's cool!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 12:28 PM
Tech Team
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
Cool. The guys at Summit said that you don't really need a shroud with an electric as the housing assembly acts as a shroud. I just thought I may benefit from adding one, but I don't think I am going to the trouble. Thanks.

Being a former Summit employee i am VERY confident that this information may be more of a personal opinion or view. Using a shroud on a radiator will greatly increase your cooling capabilities of your engine especially at idle or low speeds where air flow is at a minimum.

We all eventually get stuck in a traffic jam no matter how hard we try to avoid them. With a shroud & high powered fan you will be sitting cool in the hot sun. If you ever plan to use your car in a parade or attend one any of the monster car shows where you cruise around the grounds at a low speed you will happy that you decided on a shrouded fan!

When you enclose the entire backside of the radiator core with a shroud you create a virtual vacuum chamber to pull air through the entire core instead of only pulling air through the particular diameter of the fan(s) that you would otherwise mount directly to the core.

When selecting a fan(s) to be used with a shroud it is crucial to have sufficient fan opening area to allow high speed airflow through the radiator and then exit the shroud through the fan(s) opening(s).
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

That only applies to a mechanical fan as an electric fan mounts directly to the radiator. When was the last time you saw an electric fan with a shroud on an OEM application. I had a civic and a turbo eclipse and neither of them had a shroud on the electric fan. I agree 100% with your statement when pertaining to a mechanical fan, but not an electric, which I have. My car has no problem staying cool when running at very low speed or at 5000-6000rpm. The car at 6000 runs at 195 degrees, but as soon as it comes back down to 2000rpm it drops right back to a cool 180.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 12:45 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
When was the last time you saw an electric fan with a shroud on an OEM application.
Ummm the Mark VIII and Taurus fans that are frequently modded to our cars have shrouds...

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 Holley Terminator EFI with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt (3.73), Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS AFX Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

That's modded. The housing of the fan acts as the shroud. None of the vehicles I have with OEM electric fans have used a CONVENTIONAL shroud. Now when someone mods them to a car they may make a shroud for it, but when it was installed on the car OEM it did not have a CONVENTIONAL shroud.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

That is part of the fan housing. It's how it gets bolted to the car.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 02:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

We've had several cars over the last 20+ years with electric fans. (All OEM) Call their housing anything you want but they sure look like a shroud.
Maybe the term 'shroud' is in need of a definition. How about 'A housing encompassing the radiator and fan placed in such a way so as to ensure that fan-forced air moves through the entire radiator surface area'?
OK, OK, don't yell at me! I just made it up!!

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech
Al

For short, you could just call it AHETRAFPISAWSATETFFAMTERSA.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 06:55 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

I think that it has to do with how far away the fan is mounted to the radiator...Most electric fans are mounted so close to the radiator that a conventional shroud is not required...not to mention the housing of an electric fan acts as a mini shroud to begin with.....

Dan
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 07:56 PM

usually, aftermarket elec`s are mounted too close to the rad to utilize a shroud...the fan has to be placed in the mouth of the shroud in order to pull air from the complete surface area of the rad...(the throat would be closest to the rad)elecs are mounted close to the rad for efficiency... and alot of oems will use a small dia fan with a ton of pitch, and a shroud that encompasses the surface area of the rad to get the same effect as a mech fan accompanied by a shroud on a first gen...cooling system design plays a big part on fan req`s...the taurus fan moves something like 4500 cfm...thats more than most aftermarket fans do...they also have a shroud on them...the mark8 fans move something like 5600 cfm...thats huge!!!either is a great junkyard choice for cooling...(and again, both have shrouds) but as i said earlier, most aftermarket fans are too close to utilize a shroud, and therefore arent needed...where`s doc cool on this one???
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

I got lucky to find an aftermarket electric that moves 3985cfm and it is a single design. 16"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode