Ron Davis Radiator is Here - Quick Question... - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 07, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Garage
Ron Davis Radiator is Here - Quick Question...

The Big Brown Truck dropped off my Ron Davis Radiator just in time for the 4th of July!
What a piece of art it is. I'm very impressed so far. We'll see how it fits tomorrow.
Until then, I have a quick question.
It appears as though there are TWO locations for the overflow fitting, one by the radiator cap like I'm used to seeing, the other under the upper radiator hose. I've never seen one there, but maybe that's because I've never had a nice radiator before. (See Pictures)
This is an LSx style radiator that I'm modding to work with my existing SBC until I figure out my LSx swap. Is this some sort of LSx specific need?
Should I plug the one under the upper rad. hose or? I'm going to use the AFCO style overflow tank.

I'm used to seeing this fitting location...

this one has me stumped...

Very nice overall though...

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 Holley Terminator EFI with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt (3.73), Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS AFX Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 07, 10:19 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: Ron Davis Radiator is Here - Quick Question...

Steve, if I am not mistaken, that second port is for the return line from the crossover lines coming from the back of the head on an LT1 motor. The original location of the line went into the throttle body and acted as a "cooler" to help perormance on cold days.

I think this is what that hole is for, but I have been wrong once before. Most people do away with the coolant thru the throttle body and simply return it to the system.

That thing is SWEEEET! Wish I had it for my LT1 build I'm doing right now. Do you have a website or link to that radiator?

Joe

BTW........is that packing peanuts still in the upper hose nipple?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 07, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Thanks for the info. I'll just put an aluminum plug in there.

Here's the link http://www.rondavisradiators.com/

No Peanuts in this packing all expandable foam! Top, bottom and sides. I think it's just the flash from the camera.
Very well built and packaged.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 Holley Terminator EFI with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt (3.73), Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS AFX Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 07, 10:55 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Very good man, thanks for the link! I may have to get one myself!

It sure looks like peanuts in that radiator. How funny. That might clog up somthing!!!

Take care Steve, good luck with the LT and good catch on the new radiator.

Joe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 07, 05:30 AM
Senior Tech

What a great looking product! Congrates for sure.

But, I am concerned about something. The rear mounting fan shroud (aluminum) does not have any relief holes in the rear allowing high pressure that will build in the core at high cruising speeds? I can't believe that?

All the other twin fan designs that I have seen have one-way flap valves on the back. Here is a picture of a Maradyne with the rubber one-way relief valves on top and bottom.

My main concern is that if you cruise on an interstate at let's say 75mph.. for extended periods of time... the cooling will diminish. I recommend the installation of relief valves. But, ... try it first. The openings in the fan area might be enough to sustain the airflow for your driving habbits.. so don't panic.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 07, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Thanks for the concern, but it's actually a well designed piece. The fans are not mounted directly to the radiator, they are spaced off the radiator by about an inch which creates a plenum space. Plenty of people are using these RD radiators for TT LSx without any problems.
If I have a problem I will put relief flaps in though.

Steve

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 07, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I had a 86ish Chevy pickup w/ 305 that a heater hose went to the radiator header.

Tim Smith
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 07, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Tim from RD posted over at PT.com.
Apparently its for the steam return line for an LSx. I'll run a plug til I get to the LSx part.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode