thermostat - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 07, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

thermostat

i just installed a 180 high flow mr gasket thermostat and i also have high flow pump and high flow march pully system. started car and let it idle for 1/2 never went above 140, i thought the guage was wrong so i changed it out and same thing 140, drove around pretty hard for about a hr never went above 160 and that was when i was in 5th gear, dropped back down to 4th 140 again temp outside was 87 degrees.

Upper hose felt pretty hot, passengers side of radiator felt cooler then drivers side

Not complaining but i thought the temp should rise to at least 180 or above for the thermostat to open?

car has summit aluminum radiator, and stock sb shroud with flex fan half way in the shroud and water wetter, guage is mechanical

any input?

thanks
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 07, 06:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Lightbulb Re: thermostat

Some high flow thermostats have water flowing thru them, even when closed. At least the Stewart's have three holes to let water thru when closed. I think you have everything to get the lowest temperature possible. Maybe removing the flex fan, and using a thermal clutch one, can help increase the temp a bit. I live in a hot weather, and I don't like my car running at 140° tho. JMO

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 07, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech

Re: thermostat

Indeed... if you have holes drilled in your thermostat (that aren't really necessary for 99% of the applications because they have by-passes built in) this will compromise the thermostat's function of regulating operating temperatures.

If you DON'T have holes in the thermostat... either the thermostat is sticking open (which is what they are supposed to do when faulty) or the temperature gauge is still off. Take an IR gun and shoot the top of the housing to see if it's in the ballpark.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Re: thermostat

i checked my thermostat and it does seem to have some water flowing through it when it's closed, checked it in boiling water and it works, so i just switched over to stock thermostat and now it seems to get upto 180 and stays there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode