Hot Running - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 07, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Hot Running

Here is my situation. I have a 350sbc in my Camaro and up until yesterday it would run between 180-190 no matter the temp. I have an electric fan. 180 therm., and it's wires to come on at 185 and go off at 170. Yesterday I was on the highway and it shot up to 220. I turned the heat on and it dropped to 210. It has never done this until yesterday. I pulled the therm. and it started to open at 170 and fully opened by 185. I ran a compression test on the motor and no problems there. Last night when this was going on the top hose was hard, very very hard. My coolant does not look milky. It's not boiling over. Not down on power. I did notice that when it was hot the oil pressure dropped to 30psi when it's normally 50 and it didn't want to idle very well in gear or park, but when it cooled it idled fine and the oil pressure went back up to 50. I am stumped. Anyone have any suggestions I can try? I am open to anything at this point. Thanks in advance.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 07, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Hot Running

Flush the radiator....better still pull it out, remove the hearders and manually clean....
Also check that the bottom hose reenforcing spring inside has not corroded away....this stops the hose from collasping from the water pump sucking....
Also a sytom that u have cores blocked.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 07, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Ah, a fellow East Coaster, welcome to heat & humidity. It was hot yesterday and engines do run hotter and oil does thin out more.

Nothing much you can do except put electrical tape over the gauge so you can't read it.....LOL. You've found nothing wrong, unless there is less air going across the radiator or recycled air going through it.

The important thing is to prevent from boiling after shutdown, heat soak. You'll hear the boiling aftree it stops and heat builds up. Its important to keep the coolant pressurized to prevent boiling, as evidenced by the tight top hose. I have a 22 lb cap on my 454 dually to prevent it from boiling. Its running 220-230*f these days.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 07, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Both the radiator and bottom hose are new. I don't understand it because he in Maryland last week it was mid 90's and the car ran at 180-190 all day. Yesterday at 8pm it was no where near that and the car ran hot. Here is some new info from the testing. I left the cap off after pulling the therm. and refilling the rad. and I never saw any coolant movement. The therm. opened because I saw that on the gauge. The water pump isn't making any noises and it's not leaking out of the drain hole.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 07, 09:12 PM

i live in florida and lattle the cars are coming into my shop running hot. if the car is driven alot the rad fins get blocked with bug dirt etc. get a air hose and blow air from the engine side out to the front. see if you blow out a lot of dirt.(WITH THE ENGINE OFF) if you do back flush the fins with garden hose. will also help with your a/c pressure. 220-230 is a little hot for my liking. next get somthing like a raytech it will take the temp of what ever you point it at you gauge or sender may be wronge. if it is getting hot and the thermostate is out and your not getting any coolant flow youll have to take the water pump of and check the fins, it may be the only way to be 100% shure it ok. good luck.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 07, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I never saw any coolant movement. The therm. opened because I saw that on the gauge. The water pump isn't making any noises and it's not leaking out of the drain hole.
Some yrs back, had a very similar thing, only ever seen it once...
A new pump, didnt see too many miles...
As a last pitch effort pulled the pump and cover, the impeller had slipped and turning on the shaft splines...it still gripped a little....
So as couldnt get another pump for a while, spot weled the impeler, the pump lasted for a few more yrs when the seals/bearings finally gave up the ghost.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
I left the cap off after pulling the therm. and refilling the rad. and I never saw any coolant movement. The therm. opened because I saw that on the gauge. The water pump isn't making any noises and it's not leaking out of the drain hole.
With the engine idling, it would be hard to see coolant flowing. Need to reach over and increase rpm alittle.

Then, the fluid will drop and you should see coolant coming out of the tubes into the tank.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Charlie
How is the fan activated?
Is there a sensor you stuff into the radiator fins? I have found those to be very erratic.
Also I have found a few that the wiring connections close to the relay were burned up and causing erratic fan operation.

Tim Smith
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

The thermostat was in the car and I even throttled the engine a little to see if the fluid would move. The level dropped a little, but I still couldn't see movement. The sender can't be bad because when it said it was hot I noticed a drop in oil pressure and shotty idle. The car had no debree in the fins. It was actually very clean. The therm. works. Begins to open at 170 and is full open by 190. The cap holds 16psi just like it's rated. The only thing is the pump. I thought it was rather new and I have not neglected the cooling ststem so I can't see the impeller fins being rotted away. I don't hear any noise coming from the pump so I don't think the impeller has seperated from the shaft.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Reads like everything is working okay. You might need a larger diameter crank pulley to overspeed the w/pump and to pull more air through.

Maybe an additional Kwik Kool plate added on to the impeller to enclose it.

'
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

I don't understand because the car ran fine it hotter weather then I had Saturday. The electric fan and everything else worked perfect until Saturday. It was only about 82-85 on Saturday at 8pm and the previous weekend and even earlier that day it was hotter than 90 and it ran right at 180-190. Something had to stop doing what it's supposed to when I went out at 8. The only thing I haven't removed is the pump and I think thats next. Today actually.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

When u look at the impeller, it may not simly be spinning free...mine still turned and appeared tight, untill i put a wrench on it and it slipped.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 07, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Tim,
The fan is activated by a Painless fan switch in the intake manifold. On at 185 and off at 170.

Last edited by 67CamaroRS/SS; Jul 10th, 07 at 05:23 AM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 07, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

I am going to take the pump off Saturday. I was going to do it yesterday, but it was 100 in the shade in Baltimore. If the heat lets up I'll do it sooner, but I don't see that happening. It's already like 90 at 8am today.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 07, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I don't think it is the pump, but I could be wrong.

Slack dog! It was heat index of 93* here at the Beach at 8 AM. Tomorrow is more of the same. My home A/C has not shut off and house is approved R-36 by the electric company.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode