Water Temp Sending unit - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 07, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Water Temp Sending unit

I need to figure out the best way to hook up 3 water temp sending units on my 350 TPI engine. I've currently got 2 sending units hooked up. 1 for the computer, 1 for the electric fans and I need 1 more for the cold start injector. Can anyone tell me if I can splice 2 wiring harnesses into 1 sending unit without screwing up the resistance? If I cant splice 2 together, does anyone know of a thermostat housing that will take a sending unit and still fit under the upper plenum? Engine is a 86 350 TPI.

Thanks,
Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 07, 11:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: Water Temp Sending unit

yes. you are not changing the electrical load, per se. You can use one harness for 2 sending units. But Do not tie them to the ECM. you will confuse it.
Advice: one harness spliced to 2 sending units, 1 for fans and 1 for cold start injector. that will work.
ECM monitors engine temp. that sending unit needs to be stand alone. Good luck!

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 07, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As said, the ECM unit should be left alone. In OE set-ups: The fan switch is on the pass cyl head. The cold start inj power comes from the Bosch thermo switch just below the thermostat housing, and its on for approx 8 seconds. After timeout, it stays open until coolant is below 68*F.

Battery power to one terminal of Bosch sw, the other terminal to the inj, then other inj terminal to ground. Look at an engine wiring diagram to make sure, I'm going from memory when I had one, 85 Z/28, 4 yrs ago.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 07, 07:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Ev, that sounds about right.

Can the fan swtich setup for a Spal or DCC fan contorller. Sender problem solved.

They don't make TPI water necks with holes in them?

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 07, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Ev, that sounds about right.
Thanks for the support!
Quote:

Can the fan swtich setup for a Spal or DCC fan contorller. Sender problem solved.
It could control the fan relay as it does now, the drvr side fan. The second fan is ECM relay-controlled for DEF & A/C.
Quote:
They don't make TPI water necks with holes in them?
I haven't seen one yet. maybe beacuse there isn't much room between the throttle body and thermostat housing. Room is tight already.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 07, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Thanks for the replys. I should have gave a little more info. The wiring harness is a painless harness. The cold start injector switch is shown in the wiring diagrams as to hooking to the sending unit on front of engine next to a 2nd sending unit that is currently hooked back to the computer. Right now I'm useing this 2nd sending unit to turn my SPAL fan duel controller on and off. If I can determine that it is ok to do so, I'm gonna splice the cold iniector and Spal controller to the same sending unit, leaving the 1st sending unit only to the computer. I'll let everyone know how this works out .
Thanks
Jerry
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 07, 12:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Talking Re: Water Temp Sending unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot 67 View Post
Thanks for the replys. I should have gave a little more info. The wiring harness is a painless harness. The cold start injector switch is shown in the wiring diagrams as to hooking to the sending unit on front of engine next to a 2nd sending unit that is currently hooked back to the computer. Right now I'm useing this 2nd sending unit to turn my SPAL fan duel controller on and off. If I can determine that it is ok to do so, I'm gonna splice the cold iniector and Spal controller to the same sending unit, leaving the 1st sending unit only to the computer. I'll let everyone know how this works out .
Thanks
Jerry
This will work.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 07, 04:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Quote:
It could control the fan relay as it does now, the drvr side fan. The second fan is ECM relay-controlled for DEF & A/C.
LOL, I meant 'can' as in 'trash, discard, remove'. My DCC controller uses a small probe in the rad - no 'sender'. I thought the spal one did too, but apparently not. The DCC has an AC trigger too, but I have yet to utilize it..

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 07, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

I Love my Spal FAN-PWM controller. It turns my dual fans on 1 at a time, first at half speed at any selected water temp then goes to High at 2nd selected temp. warks great with the dual Spal 10" fans. All controlled by a stock style water temp sending unit at the front of the block. It is super easy to program.
I've been having a starting problem so I want to re-install the 9th(cold start injector), to see if that will help my starting, although "cold" start has to be an oxize-maron here in Az., where the overnight low is around 85*.

Thanks for all the advice on hooking things up.
Jerry
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 07, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

In order to splice the 2 seperate units to the single sending unit.(9th injector and spal controller), how should I splice the wires together to insure that both will have the proper polarity. The injector wiring has 2 wires colored purple and tan : the fan controller has 2 wire colored green and black. Different style connectors that each would normally connect to its own temp sending unit. What is the most likely way to connect them together to insure that the sending unit sends the proper signal to both. I'm using the 9th injector type temp sending unit.
Thanks for everyones help,
Jerry
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 07, 07:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

From Everett's description of the cold start sensor, it does not sound like a normal linear sender as would be used for a gauge or ECM input?

If it works as he said (on for 8 seconds at cold start, then off until the next time the coolant is below 68) the fan controller ain't gonna be too happy with it.

What about the back of the other head, pass side between 6 & 8?

When I do my EFI swap, I fully intend to use the sender for my autometer temp gauge as the input to the ECM. Fortunately the temp enrichment on the commander 950 is completel,y programable, so I figure it don't matter if it "reads right" as long as I tell it the right thing to do at the reading it has.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 07, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Well Guys, I've finally got everything wired,connected and operational. Thanks Jim for reminding me about the port between 6&8 cyl. I knew about this but it had completely slipped my mind. I used this spot and installed a standard TPI temp sensor and all seems to be working fine. My 9th injector appears to have fixed my starting issue, as the car has started easily the last 2 days without having to use eather. Thanks to all who had suggestions for me.
Jerry
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 07, 08:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode