Original Fan Shroud with Electric Fan - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 07, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

Original Fan Shroud with Electric Fan

I'm putting a Griffen Alumninum radiator in my 69 Camaro. I'm going to go with the one they sell at Ricks which is a direct replacement. I'm wanting to use my factory fan shroud with an electric fan. My fan is 18 inch in diameter and the whole in the shroud is 19 inchs. I was planning on making a circular bracket and possibly riveting to the shroud and then attaching the electric fan to that. I was wondering if anyone else on here had done the same and maybe had some photo's or helpful ideas. Thanks for your help. Troy

69 Camaro X44 Fathom Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 07, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Original Fan Shroud with Electric Fan

Purpose of the shroud is to prevent air from spilling off the blade ends. If you have an inch or more room then the air will get away reducing the overall length of the blade (area) because it can slide off the end instead of being forced backwards.

Larger Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 07, 04:13 PM
Team Member
John

Why change to an electric fan that only pulls air through an 18" circle in the core (and doesn't move anywhere near the volume of air as the factory fan) when the stock fan and shroud pulls air through the entire core, all the way out to the corners?

JohnZ
CRG

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 07, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy

I've been running an electric fan for years with no overheating problems. I'm running about 500hp so the stock fan just wasn't doing the trick. I tried a flex fan as well with no luck. Dave I understand your concerns about the fan sucking in air from around the 1 inch gap between the shroud and the fan. I was planning on making my bracket air tight, so that all of the air had to flow through the electric fan.

69 Camaro X44 Fathom Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 07, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Usually, people go to electrics for a more compact package, to get some air between the "radiator package" and the front of the motor. There certainly are electric fan/shroud assemblies out there that will open up a few inches of daylight in the froint of the motor and still draw air thru the whoole core and cool properly.

If you keep the stock shroud, keep the mechanical fan too.

The 7 blade clutch fan used in A/C cars will cool about anything.

I use a derale flex fan, and it works VERY well. I've been told other brands of flewfans are not as effective.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode