Heater Control Switch Detached on a 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 07, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage
Heater Control Switch Detached on a 69

My heater control switch detached from the cable and I need to either receive instructions or be told where to look for step by step instructions on how to repair it. This is one area I have never worked on before and I assume that the dash pad has to come off, but I don't even know how to do that! I saw a post giving some good information on lubricating the cables, but I have to get them out first! As always, thanks to everyone, I truly would not be able to have this great car if it wasn't for all of you! Charlie 69 RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 07, 11:53 AM
Retired
Jim

Re: Heater Control Switch Detached on a 69

Charlie does it have a/c? This pic is the unit for a/c cars but it does come out of the dash without the top of the dash coming off. Step by step directions dont exist, its the hunt and peck of folks that just dive into it, dont yank or pull too hard, it will come out and then you can see whats broken or just needing some lube. If you have the AIM that helps alot. There are 2 screws at the top corners and 2 on the underside bottom that should be visible to you.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 07, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Jim, yes it is an ac car and I can tell the cable came loose from the front vent switch as I was bearing down to make it open. I took all of the screws out of the front dash benzel, but still haven't figured out how to get to the upper cable and switch. If I understand correctly, you are saying I need to pull out the lower heat/ac diverter box in order to get to the lower end of the cable. I'll take a 2nd look at my AIM to see if I can start to understand it better. Or maybe I just need another beer! Thanks, Charlie

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 07, 06:53 AM
Retired
Jim

Im not clear yet, you got the screws out but did the whole unit come out of the dash? The fan switch is at the very top of course and is held in place by a small screw. Front vent switch? Not sure what that is? The other elec. connection is to activate the compressor.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 07, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Jim & everyone else,

Now that fall is upon us, I really need to get my heater control switch working. The cable has come loose so the heater selector switch is inoperatable. I tried getting to the cable under the dash, but it's such a tight fit with the radio and all, that doesn't appear to be the way to approach it. When I took out the screw(s) on the fan/heat/defrost/ac switch, that alone didn't do anything and I'm guessing I need to get the control switch loose in order to get to the back of it where the cable(s) connect. What do I do? Thanks, Charlie 69 RS
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 07, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Here is my plea, can Jim or someone walk me thru this? I need to get to that pesky Cable which has detached from the Far Left Heater Control Knob. I tried getting at it from under the dash, but can't see anything or get my hands up in there. I tried removing some of the dash, but that looked like an endless amount of work. Now I have removed the dash pad screws, but even it doesn't lift off as I thought it should. As you can tell, I haven't done any work on the dash of my car before & am really at a loss. So, step by step, how do I do get to that pesky cable so that I can lube it to make it functional again? Thanks, Charlie 69 RS (with AC)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 07, 08:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Charlie, here is a link with pics of how to get the dash pad out. It will make it a lot easier to get to the heater control and see what your doing.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...sh+pad+removal

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 07, 10:41 PM
Senior Tech
John

Charlie, you dont need to take the dash pad off. I have had my controller off quite a few times and it is a bugger.
Do you have a console? If yes, then its best to remove the top portion or the entire console, doing this gives you more room to work with under there.
Do you have a radio? If yes, then remove it.
After you've done those (if you have the radio and console), then reach up in there and remove the electrical connector for the fan switch, and the compressor control switch.
Remove the screws that Jim mentioned.
The unit is ready to be pulled down and out, be careful and midful of your cables. Dont kink or bend them.
What has probably happened is that a round clip has came off which keeps the cable on the selector rod and or the screw that holds the cable in place came unscrewed.
Which ever it is you will know immediately because it's obvious. Now that you have the unit off it's time for a good lubricatioin with some lithium grease.
I hope this helped.

john
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 07, 06:40 AM
Retired
Jim

As John said the unit comes out without the dash pad removed. I guess you have to get under there to really find out whats binding it if its stuck. My seats were out when I removed mine and that makes working under there alot easier too. It all is pretty simple to service once the unit is free. Keep at it, it will come out.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Okay, so I got the replacement Heater Control Switch Assembly (even included all three cables already attached) from our sponser (Bob). Now I got the seats out in order to work under the dash. My thought/plan is to remove the Radio in order to get to the three bolts that hold the Heater Control Switch Assembly, but after reviewing the FAM, I still can't figure out how to get the radio out! I'm not very good working with my hands above my head, so I'm sorta fighting the learning curve. I can feel around the radio, but just unsure of what exactly is holding it up there. I know it's not much. Thanks, Charlie
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 08, 08:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

If it's a factory radio, it should just be the 2 nuts on the front shafts (pull knobs off and you will see them) and a metal bracket on the right side in the back mounted to the radio and the center dash support. Here is a pic of the bracket. Also make sure you unplug the antenna.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 08, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Okay, here's my progress report: got the radio out, got the 3 retaining nuts loose to pull the heater control switch from the dash, got the defrost cable unattached, removed the heater diverter and then removed the glove box & lid along with the ash try and got the longest cable detached from the heater box.

Now for what appears to be my last obsticle with this job: I can't get the middle cable end to release from the upside down hook in the back of the heater box! I can feel around and know that the cable end needs to slide down in order to come off, but I have tried pressing on both sides of the cable end, sprayed some WD40 and still, it just won't clear the bottom of the hook. As a last resort, I was thinking of just cutting the cable and pushing the remains up on the hook so that I can then attach the new cable end. Is my alternative plan a good one? Any better ideas?

Thanks for everything. Charlie

Last update: "I got it! Thanks Charlie

Last edited by camaromaniac; Jan 5th, 08 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode