Radiator Fan Question - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 07, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Radiator Fan Question

Would 4 10" fans @ 1300 CFM without a shroud out cool one 16" fan @ 3400 CFM with a shroud?

Marc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro, 454, TH400, 9" 4.11's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 07, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Radiator Fan Question

are they 1300 cfm each? all 4 as pullers?
i dont know but I dont think i would like the look of 4 fans on a radiator
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 07, 04:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

FOUR!!---Wow 4, 10" fans???? What kind of car is this thing a Tank?

I have a Flex-a-Lite Black Magic Extreme FLX-180 in my car. It is rated at 3300CFM and it has a built in shroud. The fan is 16"...The car is cammed up pretty well and it has aluminum heads. It now runs cool all day long even in traffic on a hot day. The previous fan set up was out of a mid 80's Z28 or Chevy Van, no shroud an d it $*cked!! I have seen guys run two 11" fans with no shroud and the car will run hotter than one 16" fan with a shroud (see below). But four 10" fans? Like I said is it a tank?

Bottom Line: In my experience and from what I have seen not just on my car, but other cars as well one 16" fan at 3300 CFM will outcool two 11" fans at a combined 2700 CFM without a shroud or even with a shroud. But four 10" fans I have never seen.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 07, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

I also have a Flex-a-lite Black Magic Extreme FLX-180. I thought it would cure the problem with the motor running hot, but it turns out to be no better than the Perma-Cool 16" fan (2950 CFM no shround) that I had prior. I'm running a procharger with an intercooler and the intercooler. The intercooler is mounted in front of the radiator and blocks the radiator. I think the air that passes past the intercooler is hot and posssibly making the radiator hot. I thought if I could pull more air through the radiator that it might help. My radiator is an aluminum 2 core (1 inch cores) with a width of 22.5" and a height of 18.5" (width and height of the fins). After about 15 minutes of intown driving the engine temp will be up to 225-230 degrees. On the track or highway it is around 200- 205 degrees. Prior to adding the procharger the motor ran at a steady 190 degrees all the time. What do ya think?

Marc

67 Camaro, 454, TH400, 9" 4.11's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode