A/C Lines - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 07, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

A/C Lines

My Vintage Air Lines leaked right after they were crimped & installed by a shop. It finally all bled out & opened the 2 fittings & pulled the O-rings. Two different sizes. Are these standard orings or made special for AC lines. I was going to go up to Kragens, but decided to ask the knowledgeable & reliable members here instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 07, 04:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: A/C Lines

A/C O-rings are not the same as reguler O-rings. You must get the ones for A/C lines. Also make sure you get the right size and lubercate them before installing. Never put them on dry. Also how do you know it was the O -rings leaking. Did the hoses come from Vintage wih the ends attached to the hose or did you cut and have them crimped? The only reason I ask is that Vintage uses a crimping system that at least in my area not a lot of shops had the right machine to properly crimp the ends.

There are no problems only solutions

68 Camaro, RS/SS, ZZ502, Retrotek Fuel Injection, 4 Speed.

2010 RS/2SS Black, 6 speed trans
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 07, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Holdon View Post
A/C O-rings are not the same as reguler O-rings. You must get the ones for A/C lines. Also make sure you get the right size and lubercate them before installing. Never put them on dry. Also how do you know it was the O -rings leaking. Did the hoses come from Vintage wih the ends attached to the hose or did you cut and have them crimped? The only reason I ask is that Vintage uses a crimping system that at least in my area not a lot of shops had the right machine to properly crimp the ends.
The hoses came from Vintage but I had to get them cut & then crimped. I didn't know it took a different machine. The shop finished installing the engine at the time called a few shops until they found one to do it. After I received it back a buddy of mine who is a mechanic charged it up, but it leaked badly. He tightened up the fittings & after that it was a very slow drip. The ac worked fine for months until one hot day only hot air came out.
I am trying to get the lines fixed leak free now since we are in the summer time now.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 07, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
bill

norcal you might to be up too something there. i got a vintage a/c system also. last year charged it up. went to body shop this year i got it back now almost empty.i vacumn tested it for 5 hours and was fine. i put in leak detecter in it and recharged it.still working for a month now.this week im going to check it for a leak with a special light. maybe vintage air got problems with crimping hoses.we will see in a couple of days.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 07, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

three standard sizes.
#10 suction line both ends, compressor and evaporator.
#8 discharge of the compressor to the condenser and the outlet side of the expansion valve.
#6 from the condenser to the drier, out of the drier to the expansion valve inlet.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode