Fan hitting the shroud - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 07, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Fan hitting the shroud

I tried to put my new fan shroud on today (car never had one) and found out that the 19 1/2 fan blade hits the 20" shroud. The fan isn't exactly centered. Can i buy a 17" fan ,that bolts on the clutch part of the fan? If so can i get it at a local auto parts store say Advanced or autozone, napa? The shroud is for a 69 sb no air. Just what i thought i needed

Thanks ,Jim.
P.s does anyone need a 6 blade fan?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jim
69 Plain Jane, Pennsylvania.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 07, 07:27 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Fan hitting the shroud

figure out why your fan doesn't center up... Core support alignment, rad core on the core support or engine mount or tower. You'll be so much ahead of the game by fixing the problem as opposed to working around it.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 07, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Dennis, I would go that route if it was an origional engine, rad. support, radiator....ect. I think there are too many variables to be looking for the 1/4 inch its off. I'm ready to get driving and this is my last stumbling block. I want to try to find a smaller fan. I just got in from the garage and thought i'd ask. Thanks man

Jim
69 Plain Jane, Pennsylvania.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 07, 08:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

67-69 Camaros use an 18 inch fan.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 07, 08:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Hayden has an aftermarket 18 fan that is designed to bolt to a fan clutch. The part number is 3618. Parts America has them for $30

You can also find 18 fans in the wrecking yards. I recently picked up a cherry 18 inch seven blade clutch fan out of a 79 Cadillac Seville for only $9.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 07, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech

Jim -

if you want a new GM steel 7 blade, 18-inch clutch fan the number is 393996. It's about $70 from GM Parts Direct, and your local dealer might sell it to you for wholesale. It's what I run and it fits great and looks relatively correct.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode